Taking on the GNCC Series in 2015

I saw this done a long time ago here from a rider who was getting prepared to ride Loretta's and I loved reading it, so now that I'm in a similar position, I'd like to start something similar. Basically this thread will be a sort of blog for me while I train for, and eventually ride the GNCC series in the XC2 Pro Lites class.

I'd like to track this from start to finish, it'll be cool to read through once the season is over, maybe some of you guys will enjoy it too! :D

Here's a little background Bio.

Name: Tanner Huotari

DOB: October 15th, 1996

Hometown: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada

Classes: XC2 Pro Lites (GNCC), AA harescrambles (Canada), 200A harescrambles (United states), 200B Motocross (United States)

Bike: 2014 150sx

Sponsors: VonZipper, AXO, Motorex, Factory Backing, Acerbis, Emperor, and of course mom and dad. 

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j364/tannerhuotari/10670263_10203141367356696_101202708105817478_n_zps50f37bfe.jpg

I started riding When i was 4 years old on a KV75. I started racing fairly late when I was 10 years old, on a 65sx. Since then I have worked my way through the classes, and now have the opportunity to race professionally. I am beyond grateful for the chance to race with the best of the best. It's going to be a wild ride for sure. 

I'll try to update this weekly! As long as I do anything remotely interesting throughout the winter, anyway. 

Edited by BoxcarWilly
  • Like 12

Well, On halloween I bought my new bike. I got out once to break it in, I didn't think I'd get another chance this year, but I went out with my dad today seeing as it was +5c out  :jawdrop:

Tried dialling in some suspension and things, but its hard because it's still somewhat cold out. The bike has just under 4 hours on it now, so at least its broken in now. 

Snow soon, I've been working out and have been following a meal plan for some weight gains, I'm currently 135lbs (on a good day) and 6'2". All I do is watch my dads VHS tapes of Old Motocross races or the National Enduro series (hence where my signature comes from 😏 ) while I work out. I hope to weigh at least 150 by spring time. Anyone know any good core workouts? I'm getting bored of my current routine. 

6934620936_18eca45723_b.jpg

Maybe one day  👍

Thanks for all the support already guys! I really appreciate it. 

Edited by BoxcarWilly
  • Like 6

I'll be living vicariously through you....living the dream!!!

The best of luck to you, I'll be following this thread!

As far as the workout goes, good old fashioned push ups, pull ups, and sit ups always helped me gain muscle and weight, or you could relocate to Michigan and frame a few houses in the snow with me.

Your choice...😉

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 2

I'll be living vicariously through you....living the dream!!!

The best of luck to you, I'll be following this thread!

As far as the workout goes, good old fashioned push ups, pull ups, and sit ups always helped me gain muscle and weight, or you could relocate to Michigan and frame a few houses in the snow with me.

Your choice... 😉

It would make live a lot easier for racing! I'd only drive 12 hours instead of 27 to get the danm races 😏

I currently work as a Line Cook at fancy restaurant which is okay, very hectic sometimes but It pays the bills. I usually work 30 hours a week on top of my College classes (In school for Mechanical engineering) which are pretty slack so far. 

Splitting firewood...

This is probably my favourite chore at home, it and shovelling snow. I feel so good once I clear the walkway or finish cutting a pile.  It's just so damn satisfying. Aparently Cutting wood releases the most testosterone out of any exercise. 

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/08/26/chopping-wood-a-manlier-feel-than-sports/

:D

Edited by BoxcarWilly
  • Like 1

Hey guys! Nothing too interesting over the last few days. I've been working lots in an effort to raise some money for gas and other things. I put in 80 hours in the last two weeks on top of school. It's good to see the race account filling up. Hopefully by the time racing comes the Canadian dollar will be a little better than it currently is. 

I've been working out very hard for the last month, and I've gain about 4 pounds which has to be a record for me. I'm glad to see some progress, and hopefully it only gets better from here. 

Today was leg day! Featuring our messy home gym. I'm very grateful for this room. It saves me a hell of a lot of money that would be spent on gym fees. Now if only we could build a good personal trainer :D

image_zps5ac5a614.jpg

Skinny, but I've got a fat heart 😏

My dad had knee surgery and a broken pelvis all within one year a few years back, so during his off time he accumulated many MX dvds. There's nothing better than watching Ryan Villapoto in 2006 riding with Davi Milsaps and the crew. Its cool to see their progression. 

What ever happened to Billy Lalinovich?

image_zps055c2d26.jpg

In other news, I've gotten my order form in for my AXO gear. Can't thank them enough for what they are doing for me. Can't wait to get my practice gear on. Sad it's winter, but that only gives me more time to weight train. 

Until next week guys, thanks again for all the support!

• Like 4

Hey guys! Nothing too interesting over the last few days. I've been working lots in an effort to raise some money for gas and other things. I put in 80 hours in the last two weeks on top of school. It's good to see the race account filling up. Hopefully by the time racing comes the Canadian dollar will be a little better than it currently is.

I've been working out very hard for the last month, and I've gain about 4 pounds which has to be a record for me. I'm glad to see some progress, and hopefully it only gets better from here.

Today was leg day! Featuring our messy home gym. I'm very grateful for this room. It saves me a hell of a lot of money that would be spent on gym fees. Now if only we could build a good personal trainer :D

image_zps5ac5a614.jpg

Skinny, but I've got a fat heart 😏

My dad had knee surgery and a broken pelvis all within one year a few years back, so during his off time he accumulated many MX dvds. There's nothing better than watching Ryan Villapoto in 2006 riding with Davi Milsaps and the crew. Its cool to see their progression.

What ever happened to Billy Lalinovich?

image_zps055c2d26.jpg

In other news, I've gotten my order form in for my AXO gear. Can't thank them enough for what they are doing for me. Can't wait to get my practice gear on. Sad it's winter, but that only gives me more time to weight train.

Until next week guys, thanks again for all the support!

Weight training is good, but make sure you get a lot of cardio, to much muscle building will only get you pumped.

Flex balls for finger strength is a great one too.

Do legs and core on the same day, and do rotations through upper body with lats.

I love working out, and conditioning.

Cross training is the best thing you could do.

Awesome thread and best of luck to you man, personally I'm stoked to see you on the 150 but that really doesn't matter in the scheme of things I suppose, what other bikes did you race?

I always figured you were older because of the boxcar willy name. Any relation to the old singer?

Thank you! I love the 150, it'll be even better once I get the suspension set up well, and get really comfortable on it. I used to ride a 2009 200Xc-W before the 150, a 2008 85XC before that, and so on 🙂 My user name actually does come from the old singer, but not directly. Ever heard of the Red Green Show? It's canadian in origin, but a hear a lot of american's still watch it. It's basically a sketch comedy show with a backwoods Canadian theme. I remember looking for a user, and the main guy on the show Red green was fixing the tape player in his car (quite redneck-ily) and said now he could listen to his old Boxcar Willie tapes.

Weight training is good, but make sure you get a lot of cardio, to much muscle building will only get you pumped.

Flex balls for finger strength is a great one too.

Do legs and core on the same day, and do rotations through upper body with lats.

I love working out, and conditioning.

Cross training is the best thing you could do.

I'm trying to gain weight before getting in too deep with the cario and crossfit, but don't worry, I dont plan on forgetting it. Its funny you mentioned the flex ball, as I carry something similar to this around almost everywhere so my clutch hand doesn't get weak. :D

stock-photo-hand-trainer-54305908.jpg

I usually split my workouts into a 5x5, four times a week, with legs, core and arms/back.

Put some studs on that bike!

Studs will put a little too much stress on the 150, however, I live on a lake which usually gets plowed for an ice racing track, I plan to stud up my 300 for this winter.

Edited by BoxcarWilly
  • Like 1

Thank you! I love the 150, it'll be even better once I get the suspension set up well, and get really comfortable on it. I used to ride a 2009 200Xc-W before the 150, a 2008 85XC before that, and so on 🙂 My user name actually does come from the old singer, but not directly. Ever heard of the Red Green Show? It's canadian in origin, but a hear a lot of american's still watch it. It's basically a sketch comedy show with a backwoods Canadian theme. I remember looking for a user, and the main guy on the show Red green was fixing the tape player in his car (quite redneck-ily) and said now he could listen to his old Boxcar Willie tapes.

I'll have to look that show up , I don't know it, I"m 34, so older than you but not old, or so I think.... I love old country music though. 

How about telling us your thoughts about the difference between the 150 and the 200?  I know you have little time on the 150 so I'd actually like to hear more later after you have more time to compare the two. I'm curious as to how much lighter the 150 feels and also about what you think of the motor differences.