rekluse exp questions

I've been trying to tune in the clutch on my new to me crf450x and have some questions.

My rekluse assembly is two plates from the pressure plate. is this correct? the documents on their website shows it on both sides of the plate stack depending on the installation guide or set-up sheet. which way is correct?

also it creeps and i have too much freeplay when i rev it up, i have over an inch. in an effort to adjust out the freeplay by tightening the cable, i started to lose range of motion of the clutch lever to the point when i squeezed the clutch all the way in, it would bottom out 3/4" away from the handlebar and still had to much initial freeplay. 

I don't understand what i'm doing wrong?

The clutch plates are loose. I don't know if it's supposed to be like that? Like the plates are loose when the pressure plate bolts are tight. How do you torque the pressure plate bolts when it just spins? I guess that's why I'm at the end of adjustment? I have lots of questions, I guess I'll try to contact them.

First off, rekluse tech. support is AWESOME, top notch. Seriously they're great people.

Second, when I had a rekluse, i had a similar issue, and here was why. 

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/1 (may have to find the 450x diagram, I went off of an 08, not knowing the bikes year, and they should be all relatively the same)

Two main parts to this, that I know of, without taking this specific bike apart.

Under the "crankcase" schematic, part number 6, this is a wear item, that when worn too far can cause your clutch cable to not have enough adjustment, especially when paired with:

the "clutch" schematic, part number 10, this one is a killer, can become dramatically shorter, again causing you to not have enough adjustment.

ORRRRRRR it could somehow be the pressure plate hitting the clutch cover in which point i have no idea what you've done lmao, but since it's dragging I doubt that.

hope this helps, and never hesitate to call rekluse.

• Like 1

thank you.

I'll look at the lever and push-rod, good ideas. i still have it apart.

the pressure plate does not hit the basket, and everything actually looks very good, i was pleased with the initial inspection of the plates basket etc. thanks again for the tips.  👍

• Like 1

free play gain you mean, on the clutch lever?

I don't think there is any other free-play adjustments.

On the pressure plate there is a larger aluminum adjuster that has 2 set screws in it. You need to adjust this accordingly... It will push the pressure plate away from the clutch fibres...

Read the manual...

I have used two types of Rekluse in my 250X; smaller clutch than the 450X but same layout and operation.

1. An EXP that replaces two frictions on the 250X.

2. A Core EXP which includes a longer Rekluse clutch hub and a larger Rekluse side cover so  all of the frictions can be used. 

The auto clutch works by having  a gap in the plates so the clutch is disengaged at idle; EXP adjustment of the gap, and drag at idle, is via the cable adjuster. And the Core is via the gap adjuster in the Rekluse clutch hub as described in Monk's post (#10).

The manual says you should feel lever growth at 5000rpm in neutral but on my X it didn't happen until near 7k. 

Definitely call Rekluse, fantastic support.

Edited by Chuck.