General Mn chit-chat

10 hours ago, Treesmacker said:

For the Sprint Enduro there will probably be 3 different sections (MX, grass track & woods), you will line up and do each section a certain number of times (depending on what class you race) in any order.

Just don't dilly dally too much between sections since there is a time limit for doing all sections. You will get plenty of rest while waiting in line.

Thanks, I'm still just a little confused on what the goal of an enduro is since it's not the typical 'get to the finish line first'. I was reading the AMA rules on it, and I basically understand it as: you get penalized if you're over or under the 'set time' for each section, and the rider with the least amount of penalty points wins. Does that sound right?

If so, then if you have a stopwatch (I assume most people do since I've seen videos with them on the handlebars for enduros) and you have visual of the next checkpoint but you know you're going to be about 30 seconds early, can't you just stop and wait right before you get there until you meet the 'set time' and then go through? Or do I have this all wrong? haha

I'm sure everything will all make more sense if I just do an enduro race, but I just wanted to get a step-by-step process of what you do from start to finish because I like to be prepared.

Most of the enduros now are all restart format - one long distance race broken up into sections. You’ll be assigned to a particular row of riders (minute) that you start each section with. When your minute number comes up, ride each section hard as you can, rest and repeat!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mx4god said:

Thanks, I'm still just a little confused on what the goal of an enduro is since it's not the typical 'get to the finish line first'. I was reading the AMA rules on it, and I basically understand it as: you get penalized if you're over or under the 'set time' for each section, and the rider with the least amount of penalty points wins. Does that sound right?

If so, then if you have a stopwatch (I assume most people do since I've seen videos with them on the handlebars for enduros) and you have visual of the next checkpoint but you know you're going to be about 30 seconds early, can't you just stop and wait right before you get there until you meet the 'set time' and then go through? Or do I have this all wrong? haha

I'm sure everything will all make more sense if I just do an enduro race, but I just wanted to get a step-by-step process of what you do from start to finish because I like to be prepared.

Those rules are for "Time keeping" Enduro's (Old Style) all the D23 Enduro's are Re-Start (National Enduro) style like C-P was talking about. Basically you are not penalized IF you are early to a check-in. Pretty easy once you do it.

• Like 1

Okay, thanks for the help guys. Couple more questions... So is the winner still determined by the least amount of penalty points (arriving late?) at the end? Obviously I'm not going to care much about where I place for my first race (if I even finish...), but I like to fully understand how it works. Is it easy to figure out where to go for the start of each race and where to go for the beginning of each section?

It all translates to whoever completes the total of all sections the quickest is the winner. The way they figure that is each section would have a number of minutes you ‘should’ complete it, at the avg speed determined by the trail boss. Any minutes you are ‘late’ are counted against you. Least amount of dropped minutes wins. Hopefully that makes some sense? The good thing is if you have a really bad section, in theory you can recover a bit and do better on the next one instead of getting continuously further behind.

And yes - course is pretty well marked, you’ll always see where people are lining up, and every restart has a flip card telling the riders which minute is taking off. You really barely need a watch these days - I only use mine to save from having to go over and check the cards as often.

Yeah, I think that sounds pretty simple. Thanks for the help. I'm not sure how many races I'll try (especially since I'm more of a pansy fair-weather rider), but if I were to select the best venues (harescramble or enduro) to enter, which would y'all recommend? I like woods sections, tight or flowing, elevation changes, as well as technical terrain with obstacles, so an endurocross section would be a fun challenge. Not into motocross anymore, but if there's a track section that's fine.

Gotta do Meadow Valley HS, since lot of us work that one. Otherwise, for Hare Scrambles Kensington, Troll and Millville are all good and hilly and fun. The Gnarly Hills enduro in Iowa is super fun, and for sure the hilliest. Akeley is fun terrain too. Don’t let anyone talk you into riding Mora!

• Like 2

Mora was my first Enduro. Its the only chance you have to ride those trails.[emoji88]

According to ‘sources’, Mora trails are posted as open to motorcycles. Not sure how much of it is, and haven’t attempted to ride there...yet.
  • Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:43 AM, MNKeith said:

I found a pic of the bike he rides.  These modern bikes are looking stranger and stranger.

95131-385x381-Victorian_bike.jpg

Yeah Rik rides mountain bike also ( a very TALL bike) this one maybe a little too small for him! Ha

He races Off Road in the A class and he can only stand-up straight in one room of my brothers cabin.

20 minutes ago, Treesmacker said:

With all the snow it will be interesting getting home after the race.

Last year was bad enough just waiting almost an hour to get out of a parking lot... Hopefully it's a little more organized, but I'm not counting on it. I wonder if they've upgraded the pits as well. Last year looked pretty tight in that "VIP fenced-in area".