Bike prep question

I am in the process of prepping a brand new 2014 CRF 250. I like to go thru almost everything before my son rides it next season.

Check out the steering head bearings and the swingarm bearings. Virtually no grease on either.

Why?

Can't be cost.

I'm thinking the risk of contaminating the container ship.

Edited by kmcarr

Get used to it. Wait til you check out the linkage bearings. Remove all the linkage bearings, grease it up, then re-install the bearings, use a moly grease on the linkage. Don't just smear some extra grease in there, that doesn't put much where it is needed. Also check:

- brake pedal pivot

- both brake caliper bracket pins (4 total, use hi-temp brake grease)

- remove the rear wheel chain adjustment bolts, grease them and re-install, trust me just do it...

- I grease all non-aluminum bolts that go into the aluminum frame (yes, that's a lot of bolts) and grease the rad shroud to tank bolts. Don't grease brake pedal pivot bolt or the bolts that hold front caliper to the forks.

- Remove the front brake and clutch levers and grease the pivot points

- throttle tube -vs- handlebar needs grease, and a little in throttle housing

- You should also remove the "judder spring" components in the clutch and install a standard-height fiber plate in their place. Do a search to see what I mean.

Basically, I tear an entire new bike down by the time I am done with it...

Edited by Eddie8v
  • Like 3

Thanks Eddie,

I have been in professional motorsports for a long time (cars) so this is standard practice, just thought I would inform some of the guys that haven't looked at their stuff yet.

And yes I stripped every needle out of the linkage and re greased it. Not much grease there either.

I will look into the clutch judder spring I imagine it's like a wave plate in an automatic transmission.

I also worked on the throttle return spring to lighten the throttle pull.

Couldn't buy a spring for a 2015.

Thanks again

KC

Edited by kmcarr

For a 2014 CRF250R, you need to remove the head stay head-attachment bolts, too, and swap them from left to right and vice versa. The bolts that go into the head. Honda installed the longer bolt on the left, by mistake, because they install the longer bolt on the left on the 450. The headstay bracket is "thicker" on the right on the 250, but thicker on the left for the 450...

Edited by Eddie8v

Thanks again Eddie,

I ordered (1) OEM clutch plate to replace the Judder spring assembly.

I will check the engine mount bolt length tonight.  I had them all loose because the swingarm bolt was in a bind as delivered.

KC

Thanks Eddie,

Judder spring assy. Removed and part number for std friction.

Both .117" thick

Effort seems slightly reduced?

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1416969045.950111.jpg

KC

With the 2 judder spring components removed (and the "taller" fiber installed in place of the "shorter" fiber that contains the judder parts) the amount of lever movement needed to disengage the clutch will be reduced, yes.