Thinking about a CRF450R

A friend of mine is looking to sell his CRF450R.  The bike has been riden very little and is in great shape.  I have never had a bike like this, I have always had the air cooled bikes and four wheelers.  We always rode the crap out of them and they never needed much maintance.  My question is how much more maintance will this bike be?  I read on here about rejetting the carb, checking valve clearance, and other maintance.

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

Newer four strokes are a bit of maintance, i got a crf450 2008 and i have done the complete head with 4 new oem valves and the waterpump/balancer bearings. And the things just seem, to keep coming. If i could do it all over again i would buy a 250 two stroke 🙂

A friend of mine is looking to sell his CRF450R. The bike has been riden very little and is in great shape. I have never had a bike like this, I have always had the air cooled bikes and four wheelers. We always rode the crap out of them and they never needed much maintance. My question is how much more maintance will this bike be? I read on here about rejetting the carb, checking valve clearance, and other maintance.

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

Those older air cooled bikes a more of a fill up and ride kind of bike. You'll find with the newer 4 strokes that as long as you keep the general maintenance up (oil changes every 5-10 hours, air filter regularly changed, valve clearance checks) you will get a good life out of them. In comparison to the bikes of old, they are a lot more maintenance heavy, but if you treat it well, it will treat you well. Make sure before you buy it that you have a complete record of the history of any engine work done and how often the oil + filter has been changed, and EXACT record of hours. In my personal opinion, if a bike doesn't have an hour meter, don't touch it. As long as your mate has taken good care of it, and has kept up to date with regular maintenance then you shouldn't have any trouble. Hope this helps.

The modern day MX style dirt bikes require more maintenance and cost more to maintain them. This is compared to 4 stokes of the past and current 4 stokes that are not MX models. MX style 4 strokes can and do turn higher RPM's than older and non-mx 4 stroke dirt bikes. 

For what its worth, I own and ride a 08 CRF450R. I have over 125 hrs on it and the previous owner bought it new and he claimed to have put aprox. 50 hrs on the bike. Since I have owned it, I have done one complete top end on the bike. This included a full valve job. I ride single track, race  cross country and enduros. I have hit the rev limiter 4 times. The bike has been properly maintained. I do all the work on my bikes with the exception of the valve job. I also own an ride a 05 CR250R (2 stroke). MY 250 2 stroke cost less to maintian and requires less maintenance. 

I think I have decided to look for a good used Yamaha TTR230 or Honda CRF230F.  Since I dont do any racing and I dont want to do all the maintance with the valves.  Only reason i was looking at this bike is because it was local and I knew all about the bike.

Now you can tell me good or bad about the two bikes I am looking at.

Edited by Driftingokie

https://thumpertalk.com/index.php?/topic/1112588-Looking-to-get-my-gf-a-bike%2E here's a thread on a guy looking to get a bike for his girlfriend, I wrote some things about the 230 in here (there's quite a bit and It would take a while to write again, but it should fit your question similarly). If you have any other questions about them, feel free to ask.

Great now I looking at bikes for girlfriends and moms.   Now I am confussed.

Maybe I should tell you what I am planning on doing with the bike and someone can tell me what bike would be best.

48 yr old male, 5'10" 175lbs

ridden alot in my younger years

what to ride in the country and trail riding

want it to be fairly low maintance

I just want to ride!

Edited by Driftingokie

Great now I looking at bikes for girlfriends and moms. Now I am confussed.

Maybe I should tell you what I am planning on doing with the bike and someone can tell me what bike would be best.

48 yr old male, 5'10" 175lbs

ridden alot in my younger years

what to ride in the country and trail riding

want it to be fairly low maintance

I just want to ride!

If you're wanting a low maintenance, cheap to run bike, then you can't go wrong with a KTM 300exc (XC-W). They are about as low maintenance you'll get these days without going to a dual sport. In fact any brand's 300 2-stroke will be the same, be it Beta, Husqvarna, Huasaberg, Sherco or Gas Gas, they have lots of power, oozing with low end torque, and are a blast to ride. As long as you don't mind mixing gas, all you have to do is pretty much keep the air filter and gearbox oil fresh, and you'll be fine for years. You can lug them down low without worry of stalling, and when you feel like it you can open it right up and hang on for dear life. If you ride tight, gnarly terrain then you'll appreciate the bottom end, and if you ride wide open desert-style then you'll love the screaming top end. You'll be surprised how many people ride these 300's, and it'll be cheaper than just about any 4 stroke.

If you think a 300 is just too much, then many people also love the 250 and 200 2 strokes as well. These will be the same maintenance wise as the 300 will, but with less power. (The 250 has similar power to the 300, but is more racey eg. Revs more). The 200 is an absolute blast to ride, but doesn't have the same power as the 250 or 300.

To sum up, you can't go wrong with most enduro 2 strokes. Easy to maintain, easy to get along with, and most of all, an absolutely joy to ride.

I rode a CRF450  today.  What a beast.  Too much bike for me.   Going to look at a crf250 tomorrow.

CRF250? Definitely not low maintenance. I would stick to a two stroke unless you are willing to accept the maintenance burden of a modern 4 stroke.  I come fron the same riding background as you.  If you like working on bikes, its not too bad. 

Have you considered a crf 250x or 450x model ?  One of my neighbor owns an 05 450X model & rides the wheels off that thing & only maintenance I've really seen him do is oil changes / air filter cleaning.  I've ridden the bike & it has smooth power that is more enduro like.   His friend owns an 06 crf250x & has very smooth power like the 450x model, but less everywhere since it's a smaller bore.  The X models seem to be bullet proof if you do the regular maintenance at intervals & keep up with it.  Sounds like those bikes would be better suited for someone like yourself looking to get back in the sport after a few yrs. off.    Good luck on your quest...