70% Dirt Trails 30% Street

What tire and sizes would you recommend for 70% dirt trails and 30% street.

Trails with hard pack dirt, leaves, small rocks and lots of hills but no mud.

The street riding will just be playing around.

I will be riding lots of trails with my friends on their dirt only trail bikes and don't want them to have to wait up for me to much..

My goal is max trail traction over street grip. Street tire life is not an issue.

This will be for my 2013 DRZ400SM using the 17 inch wheels.

Thanks.

Had a good recommendation for ya until I got to 17".  Spooned on a set up Pirelli MT43 trials tires recently and really like them on the pavement compared to nobs like the dunlop d606. The only thing they don't get top marks for is mud...but since like me you are looking at hard pack, gravel, dirt, roots, rocks, and the like...that is where they really shine. Hills are no match for trials tires, and those that try them will tell you much better than knobbies (they hook up so well though, don't  flip it over on you!) Some call them cheating, they're so good at hooking up and inspiring off road confidence. But they only come in an 18 and 21 sizes. However, I wanted to still reply as maybe there are some trials out there that will fit your rims...or in the chance you might be buying a 2nd set of rims for your dual sport/dirt days.  About 10 psi dirt,  up to 20 psi street. The MT43 is DOT tire also. check out the reviews at rocky mountain, etc. on the MT43's...might be enough to convince you to buy a spare set of used dirt rims...and only about $70 per tire that folks say last thousands of miles in many cases.  I don't think I would want to try to negotiate over a decent sized log, root, or rock with a 17" front rim...ouch. But if money for you is like it is for me, extra rims may just  not be an option.  

Good luck on your quest to find the right rubber for your machine!

Edited by DougBurgoyne

What tire and sizes would you recommend for 70% dirt trails and 30% street.

Trails with hard pack dirt, leaves, small rocks and lots of hills but no mud.

The street riding will just be playing around.

I will be riding lots of trails with my friends on their dirt only trail bikes and don't want them to have to wait up for me to much..

My goal is max trail traction over street grip. Street tire life is not an issue.

This will be for my 2013 DRZ400SM using the 17 inch wheels.

Thanks.

any knobby you can find in 17" will work well. buy cheaper, because 30% street will kill them pretty quick. basicly, you're talking a DS tire like the shinko244, kenda k270, or similar.