Which Quads Have Clutchless Shift and Thumb Throttle?

I'm thinking of giving up the dirt bike for 4-wheeled safety and fun.

Need:

1) No clutch and, if possible a plus, thumb throttle. Save the wear and tear on these hands/fingers.  

2) Adult sized like at least 250cc. 2-wheel drive sport/racing type. MX and trail. 170lb geared rider.

3) Green-sticker friendly for Cali year-round riding.

4) Dependable, don't we all. Japanese brands better I'm assuming.

What's out there that fits this bill?

Edited by heavenstrails

Ok, first of all I don't think there are any "sports" ATV's out there that have auto-clutch, so start out by getting a proper "sports" ATV and not a cheap thing that has a auto clutch, then fit a auto clutch mod to your ATV, preferably get something like a Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha ect...

They all have/had 250cc racing quads, aslo try going to a local dealer as they should be able to help you. I hope you get something that you like and enjoy.

-Flaming

They're out there.  I just sold (wish I hadn't) a 2006 Suzuki Quadsport that had clutchless shifting and thumb throttle. All the new Suzuki's are clutch shifting. I'm wondering what year they stopped making the clutchless shift. 

All of the sport quads with auto clutch are very beginner  oriented quads. the 250x Honda is really the only (non chinese) clutchless shift manual gearbox. The Polaris phoenix, and the Can Am DS250x are CVT style 'sport' machines. If you go much older there are some auto clutch hondas and zuk's. I'm afraid that the 250's are going to be cramped and under powered for you.

Go to the dealer first and sit on the 250's. If they don't fit, then you need a new plan. You may be able to find a clean polaris scrambler 400 or 500 that may fit you better. Also, Kawasaki had a cvt 700 sport. (heavy but could still jump on a mx track.) Honestly, if you are looking for a good performer, your best bet is to look into a 450 or even a 400 and install a rekluse. Then your option really open up.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

BTW. Welcome to the dark side. ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Knowing a budget would help but like I suggest to everyone that wants a small sport quad I really like Yamaha wolverines. There not a true racing quad but there a 350cc sport crossover with 4wd and having owned mine for 10+ years I can safely say I've never felt slow on the trails regardless of what my friends have. I'm also 200+ lbs without gear and have had plenty faster quads but the wolverine has been the best all around. In the entire time I've owned it its only needed some bushings, bearings, a muffler and the usual maintenance aside from a aftermarket rear break caliper I blew up. Its also a semi auto (no clutch) and has a thumb throttle. The downside is there heavier than the average sport quad and take some skill to ride fast in tight trails.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a physical limitation that stops you from riding clutch?

If not, I suggest simply learning it. You will have to sooner or later and it gives you more control of the ATV. It's pretty straight forward and it will mean you'll be able to ride anything. A 300ex or a 400ex would be a perfect bike but they have clutches