Diode smoke

I am in the process of rebuilding the DR650SE that I bought a few months ago and am getting very very close to a test ride. Over the weekend I got the wiring harness mostly hooked back up (except taillight, blinkers, horn, speedo light) and when I tried to start it the diode above the airbox started smoking but only when I was holding the starter button. The only changes that I have made to the harness are eliminating the clutch safety switch (plugged the bullet connectors into each other) and disabling the kickstand switch (soldered and heat shrunk the wires together). The starter is turning slow due to low voltage but enough to spin the engine (getting vacuum through the carb and pressure out the exhaust). All of my fuses are good and I double checked the wiring against my service manual and as far as I can tell everything is where it should be. What would cause that diode to smoke?

The diodes are part of the starter wiring (as you can tell), I can't find the link but basically the kick stand switch is routed through a relay that's routed through those diodes.  Long story short, try charging up your battery before attempting to start your bike.

Here's a link to some helpful information on the DR650 in the Adventure Bike web site:  http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14469062&postcount=32