08 oem valves

I just did a head rebuild on my 08 and i put in new oem valves for intake and exhaust. Now im wondering what metal they are made of? I originally wanted to put in stainless steel valves, but the oem turned out to be cheaper. Would the aftermarket valves have been better? Im worried the oem valves might chew away at the head? If anyone know something about this i would like to hear about it 🙂

From that other thread it appears that you lapped in your OEM titanium intake valves, which likely destroyed the hard coating on them which allows them to survive the seat smacking. You either need to get another set of new OEM intake valves and start over, or buy some new stainless intake valves BUT those are heavier valves and need stiffer valve springs.

Edited by Eddie8v

OEM exhaust are steel valves and TI intakes..

SS valves will require an expensive spring kit, so keep that in mind when saving money on the SS valves. I don't know what Ss valves you were looking at, but the intakes should be slightly less $ than the OEM TI intakes. (but you should get the epxensive spring kit).

There really are a hundred threads on "honda valves".. or "450 valves", and the debate is long on if you should go SS or stick with OEM. I had BRP performance install a new valve seat material, that has increased the service intervals on the oem valves. The SS valves will STILL wear if you ride enough, just takes longer than OEM to close up clearance. 

i bought a set of 4 OEM valves with springs, retainers, seals and keepers for 250$ i have installed it now and it runs great, but apparently the intake valves are titanium? and coated with something, and i lapped them and wore the coating off, so are they just garbage now? and can i still use the exhaust valves since they are now titanium?

Edited by Buekastrup

The OEM exhaust valves are stainless steel and will be ok. The OEM intake are coated titanium, you surely thinned/damaged/removed that coating. The bike may run great for a while but the valve clearances will start to tighten up imminently. 1st sign will be difficulty to start the bike the first time of the day, when the motor is cold.

The valves seat properly due to tight tolerancing in the machining (guide-to-seat alignment) and the dimensional control in the valves.

Edited by Eddie8v

i bought a set of 4 OEM valves with springs, retainers, seals and keepers for 250$ i have installed it now and it runs great, but apparently the intake valves are titanium? and coated with something, and i lapped them and wore the coating off, so are they just garbage now? and can i still use the exhaust valves since they are now titanium?

Lapping the intakes grinds off the coating. They'll run for a while, but it'll be a short while. You may get 15-20 hours out of them before you need to shim, but you'll have to shim again after about 10 more hours and I'd bet you'll be out of shim space at that point. The issue is the seats aren't round and smooth. So the seat chips the coating and once that happens, its game over in short order.