Sign in to follow this  

gearing for trail

My new-to-me 94 KX250 came with 13/48 sprockets.  They need replacement - badly.

So, is 13/48 OK gearing for general trail riding?  Any better combos?

Also, there's nothing holding my front sprocket on.  Really - I could just pull it off by hand.  I couldn't find an OEM parts schematic that showed me what SHOULD be holding my sprocket on.  Anyone know where I can find that?  I'm guessing it should be a large washer and bolt, but I've been wrong before.

TIA.

oops - found it hiding on transmission fiche.

Looks like all I really need to know is does it take an 18, 24 or 25mm snap ring?

go up to a 13-51 to smooth out tight trails a bit.

ya do that and go to most any MC shop and ask for a snap ring to fit your CS sprocket. NAPA should have some too. Buy a handful but only keep the one that fits. 

go up to a 13-51 to smooth out tight trails a bit.

Wont that make it even "jumpier" than it is?    Or does gearing it lower allow you to get into 2nd gear easier for calmer lugging?

• Like 1

Allows you to pull a taller gear which smooths the power delivery. I run 13/53 on my 07 KX250 and 14/51 on my KX500. The 500 is incredibly smooth with that gearing!

I may be in trouble with lower gearing.  I took it out this afternoon and it tried to loft the front with every shift.  At least I'm no longer worried about low compression.

I ran 13/50 for the longest time on my 01 kx250 and loved it. I had a 48t sitting around so I slapped it on my bike. First time out with that 48t seemed like it ruined my day, I hated it.

13/50 is gold for the trails.

Hmmm, I am still using a 14/51. I've run my 98 in harescrambles, to tight woods and nasty mountain trails. Works very well, for me. I got it with a 13T cs sprocket , but swapped in the 14, soon after. Next chain & sprocket swap, I'll run a 13/48(essentially same ratio).

A FWW would do more for smoothing the hit for trail riding than any gearing changes will. Put a 13oz on it and you'll be amazed at how well it will lug around. I have one on my YZ, and with stock 14/50 gearing, it will pull down almost as much as my KDX. Quick snap of the clutch and the front wheel is in the air like normal. FWW, IMO, is one of the best bang for the buck items (the other being suspension work) you can put on a 2 stroke MX bike that's being used for woods riding.

Edited by OLHILLBILLY

I definitely agree on the suspension.  That's always been the moneyshot for me.  Haven't tried a FWW on any bike .  How hard is it to install? 

Power is no issue. At 56 I really have no need for more.  I ride as well as ever - but definitely don't bounce as well as I once did.

I think I'll order a sprockets/chain kit in stock 14/48 but then buy extra 12 and 13T fronts.  that way I can play around and see how I like it.  Should be able to use the same chain for 3 different fronts and a 12/48 would be nearly the same as a 13/51.

Edited by dukesilver

Hmmm, I am still using a 14/51. I've run my 98 in harescrambles, to tight woods and nasty mountain trails. Works very well, for me. I got it with a 13T cs sprocket , but swapped in the 14, soon after. Next chain & sprocket swap, I'll run a 13/48(essentially same ratio).

It's my understanding that the 98 has a low first gear whereas the 99-02 came with the opposite. On my 99 I can barely detect a difference between 1st and 2nd gear.

I definitely agree on the suspension.  That's always been the moneyshot for me.  Haven't tried a FWW on any bike .  How hard is it to install? 

Power is no issue. At 56 I really have no need for more.  I ride as well as ever - but definitely don't bounce as well as I once did.

I think I'll order a sprockets/chain kit in stock 14/48 but then buy extra 12 and 13T fronts.  that way I can play around and see how I like it.  Should be able to use the same chain for 3 different fronts and a 12/48 would be nearly the same as a 13/51.

I'm not sure on a KX as to the difficulty installing a FWW, but it's the sator cover off and one nut on a YZ250. 30 minute job if you take your time.

I'm 57, I can still take a beating, just remember it (a few weeks) longer than I used to.

Watch the 12 tooth front sprocket. That one has a tendency to put a lot of drag on the swing arm slider, and can wear through them (and into your swing arm) pretty quick. I'd advise going no smaller than a 13 tooth front. You should be able to deal with most anything with a 13/50-51 gear. Add the FWW and you'll have a tractor.

It's my understanding that the 98 has a low first gear whereas the 99-02 came with the opposite. On my 99 I can barely detect a difference between 1st and 2nd gear.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a later model KX. I'm a cheap bastard, so may take a while. I got a complete 95 trans, to do the 1st gear swap.

The 12 t can cut into your cases if you run a too wide o-ring chain. If you go with a 12 go with a DID Xring chain, they are much narrower.

I have not had any problems with either the case or the chain guide slider using the 12T counter sprocket.  It is working out fine.  The chain I am using is a Primary Drive 520 O-ring and sprocket. 

Edited by AtomicXRer

I'm keeping my eyes open for a later model KX. I'm a cheap bastard, so may take a while. I got a complete 95 trans, to do the 1st gear swap.

Days of deals seem to be fewer recently. :thumbsdn: However I did get my 99 for $500 without title. Inspection on 9Dec. It's a great motorcycle!