New to forum, Need guidance on what bike to get.

I bought a honda xr400 based on their great reputation, but don't really care for the decompression lever. This is also my first bike since I had a 50 in elementary school. I'm looking for something that is just a normal kick start, or even e-start (might be more than I wanna spend). I'm 6'2, 220 lbs so the I fit on the XR nice, but what else is out there for the 1750-2500 range, I've been checking out the KTM EXCs but don't know much about them. Just looking for something that's a good trail bike with a decent amount of power.

Edited by anthonyverducci

My reccomendation is to go at the upper end of your budget for a 2006-2008 ktm 200, 250, or 300 xc/xcw. I said those specific years because locally those are the years that tend to be right around the $2500 mark. All of these bikes are extremely capable and reliable machines and would have plenty of power. I've ridden most of the KTM 2 stroke offroad lineup and have nothing negative to say about any of these bikes. 

• Like 1

What don't you like about the decomp? Seems a little crazy to get rid of a bike that fits you well because of a lever.

They are touchy to start and once you figure out their trick it's not a problem.

One of the other bikes suggested will be way lighter than an xr400 and a better bike.

Just seems a little nuts to get rid of a bike because of a decomp lever

I bought a honda xr400 based on their great reputation, but don't really care for the decompression lever. This is also my first bike since I had a 50 in elementary school. I'm looking for something that is just a normal kick start, or even e-start (might be more than I wanna spend). I'm 6'2, 220 lbs so the I fit on the XR nice, but what else is out there for the 1750-2500 range, I've been checking out the KTM EXCs but don't know much about them. Just looking for something that's a good trail bike with a decent amount of power.

If you are looking for a trail bike be prepared for something weak and heavy. Your XR400 is a race bike. A heavy and old design but an enduro race bike nonetheless.

There aren't many full sized actual trail bikesmade anymore- maybe the Kawasaki KDX (200 to 250cc 2stroke) or KLX (250 and 300cc 4stroke). The Yamaha TT-R250 is a full size trail bike as is the Suzuki DR-Z400. Not much else out there that's a proper trailbike. Whether you need a trailbike depends on whether you like to ride fast or not.

I don't like them much, personally. I much prefer an enduro race bike or modified MX bike. They are stronger, more capable and much easier to set up. A trailbike will put you on your head at fast pace but a race bike will soak it up and beg for more.

You might want to take a look at the KTM 2 strokes listed above or the Honda CRF250X or Yamaha WR250 if you'd like a 4 stroke. Not easy to find a nice one in your price range but they are out there for the patient buyer.

I can tell you that unless you have done modification to your XR or the previous owner did, you are way, WAY too tall and heavy for the stock setup.

• Like 1

. A trailbike will put you on your head at fast pace but a race bike will soak it up and beg for more.

I can tell you that unless you have done modification to your XR or the previous owner did, you are way, WAY too tall and heavy for the stock setup.

Seriously true.  I don't care what bike you ride.  You need your suspension set up for you.  You are way heavier than any factory suspension setup.  Find a local shop if you can talk to the guy about your riding style etc.  My guy will make changes to my stuff after we ride together.  He watches how I ride then makes the changes.  He is very good.  I've learned this the hard way.  I build motors and make them fast, then I "outride the suspension" and must have it done.  Now that is the first thing I do.  I can ride way faster on a bike with suspension for me with a less powerful engine than one with more power and suspension not set up.   Notice I say set up and not bad.  What is bad for one person could be great for another.  I just bought my son a new (to us) trail bike and first thing I did was pop the suspension off.  The confidence it gives is amazing.

Can't wrong with a KDX.

KDX's are great bikes.  He'll still need the suspension set up they are for light riders.  I did a bolt on swap for a friend.  I gave him my old KLX front end.  Litterally bolt on.  Did it in less than an hour.  He had to have the valving, springs and fluid changed as he is heavier than me.

I still think the XR is a great, anvil simple trail bike.

For what it's worth I've ridden every one of the bikes that are mentioned in this thread and myself or my friends own or have owned many. 

I currently own 2 KLX300's.  I love them.

• Like 1

Gee I do not like the compression release?

My 441 Victor had 11to1 compression once I learned the just a hair past TDC trick I could start it while sitting on the seat.

This would lead to very disappointed onlookers who were wait for me to get launch over the handle bars. 

"Looking for something that's a good trail bike with a decent amount of power."

I ride a IT510 nothing says power like an Big Bore Two Stroke.

I had an XR400 ('03 bought new in '04), didn't like a lot of things about it, but the decomp lever wasn't really a big thing. You don't have to use it often and a lot of people just take it completely off. As for a newer style woods bike, the KDXs are great, just getting harder and harder to find a nice on. WR250Fs are pretty common and are great 4 stroke e-start woods bikes. Lot of KTMs out there (at least around here), stick with the XC-W models (or EXC for the older versions) and it's hard to go wrong.