OEM lube question

Thanks Guys,

I really struggle with the cost saving side of things, these bikes have a huge amount of engineering and are expensive to boot.  I was thinking that there was some risk or penalty for possibly dripping or leaking grease and or oil on the container ships?

KC

The fact is that the lube you find in most such places on brand new bikes is quite adequate to LUBE the pivot involved.  What it's inadequate for is acting as any kind of secondary barricade to the intrusion of dirt or moisture (which would never happen on a dirt bike, right?), and there isn't a whole lot of reserve to make up for any that might escape the seals.

• Like 1

My son put 50 hours on his YZ 125 this season after being prepped with ample waterproof grease.

Powerwashed after every ride,

I tore it down to inspect it and I can tell you the steering stem looked perfect

The swingarm bearings were good too.

I have to finish the linkage tear down tomorrow.

KC

What ever happened to grease zerks? (Read sarcasm here)

But on a serious thought, what is the service interval that the steering head or swing arm pivot play are checked?

grease/oil seals happened, I plan on putting zerks on the hubs and any pivot point, the only place I'm putting grease is the steering head everything else gets gear oil, cuz it has seals. The times I've changed my tires I'll squirt some gear oil inside makes clean up a lot easier plus it keeps the seals from wearing out. If you think about it when was the last time you or anyone here has greased there automobile or repacked the wheel bearings.