1998 XR250R Rear Shock Absorber Malfunctioning

Hello TT Users!

My '98 XR250R is having rear shock problems. I have noticed that after day of riding, especially in bumpy whoop sections, my rear shock dampening will go from an appropriate amount to just about none. By the end of the day I can pretty much hop the rear end of the bike off of the ground by bouncing on it (Like a trials bike). I have noticed that a strong smelling oily substance will be on the shaft of the shock by the end of the day as well. I will have the shock refilled, but it will be empty after a days riding. This is beginning to become very costly. Also the shock's performance has steadily been getting worse even when refilled.

So, Any advice on what is causing this? What should I fix/replace? How expensive? Thank you all in advance! 

Sounds like your in need of a rear shock overhaul to me....any signs of leaking fluid or that bouncy feeling is a dead give away........I have a 93 xr 250r that I just recently had a complete rear shock rebuild on...cost me a little over 200 bux as compared to @600bux for a new replacement ..seems to be working for me as it should.... RIDE ON!!!

Thank you both for the advice. I will look into an oem parts rebuild, should run me a few hundred. Would probably be worth it for the punishment me knees are taking on every ride. And yup the bouncy feeling yes I know it all too well. Basically I bring an air pump with me and have to completely refill the shock between riding sessions.