Suspension post '06 worth it?

Bit of a rookie here (and by bit I mean a complete rookie) but I've been looking to get a used yz125 off of craigslist and from my understanding one of the only major differences between a pre-'06 and an post-06 yz is a different suspension, correct me if I'm wrong... So I'm wondering if the '06+ suspension is worth the extra bucks I'll probably be paying for a newer model compared to an older one. Assuming both bikes are around the same cleanliness, hours ridden etc... Also wondering if there are certain years that the yz truely shined compared to others? '07 yz's are a lot better than '06's (just an example) or if throughout the years the yz has been pretty consistent performance wise. Thanks

06 was a excellent year. After that the changes were minimal. In 08 they went to a smaller caliper and fork lugs.

05s come with the aluminum chassis but came with a 5spd trans. It was kind of a oddball machine. It came with AOSS suspension which was good but not as good as the SSS stuff.

02-04 came with the steel chassis and by many are considered the best feeling YZs because of this. The hot ticket is to mount SSS suspension on them...

The body style of the bike's has been the same since 02-14 and changed slightly since.

If you can find a clean bike of 05 or older for a good price, then go for it. SSS suspension is easy to find used and swaps on with minimal work. A few threads on TT regarding this...

• Like 1

I do think your right though. Just one of those things...

5spd

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_yz_125_2005.php

I do think your right though. Just one of those things...

5spd

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_yz_125_2005.php

I've found that Bikez.com seems to be hit or miss sometimes when it comes to accurate specs. But to the OP, the 06+ suspension is some of the best out there and if money allows then go for it, however my 05 set up for me never disappointed.

I own an 05 and an 06 yz 125.  Both were purchased low hour with stock suspension.  Perhaps a difference might have been apparent if I were a regular MX rider, but I only occasionally go to tracks.  For my use (trail riding, single track woods, and hare scramble racing), both bikes were equally inadequate in the suspension department.  Both bikes have been revalved now (by different tuners) and are drastically better than they were in stock condition, but I can't really say I prefer one over the other after the revalve.

I am certainly not one to underestimate the importance of suspension (that's normally the only thing I spend any money on), but if you are new to the game I suspect that SSS suspension versus a previous iteration would not make a bit of difference to you.

Also, if you are finding prices on Yamaha bikes to be high, broaden your horizons and check out other brands.  I've owned green, yellow, and red 125's over the last decade, and all were reliable and tons of fun.  If you can find a clean, low hour, unmolested (close to stock as possible) 125 of any brand, buy it!  They are getting harder to find all the time.   

Edited by rpt50

I own an 05 and an 06 yz 125.  Both were purchased low hour with stock suspension.  Perhaps a difference might have been apparent if I were a regular MX rider, but I only occasionally go to tracks.  For my use (trail riding, single track woods, and hare scramble racing), both bikes were equally inadequate in the suspension department.  Both bikes have been revalved now (by different tuners) and are drastically better than they were in stock condition, but I can't really say I prefer one over the other after the revalve.

I am certainly not one to underestimate the importance of suspension (that's normally the only thing I spend any money on), but if you are new to the game I suspect that SSS suspension versus a previous iteration would not make a bit of difference to you.

Also, if you are finding prices on Yamaha bikes to be high, broaden your horizons and check out other brands.  I've owned green, yellow, and red 125's over the last decade, and all were reliable and tons of fun.  If you can find a clean, low hour, unmolested (close to stock as possible) 125 of any brand, buy it!  They are getting harder to find all the time.   

Who do you think the next best performer is then besides the yz or is it subjective to specific model years. Could be a bit of an opinion question... PS thanks for all the help so far much appreciated

Who do you think the next best performer is then besides the yz or is it subjective to specific model years. Could be a bit of an opinion question... PS thanks for all the help so far much appreciated

This is certainly an opinion question.  Even though I currently own 2 YZs, I don't think they are necessarily better than other 125s.  Again, I think it is far more important to find a clean and unmolested 125 of any brand, as a lot of people just indeterminately throw parts at these bikes and/or run them into the ground.  Anyway, here are a few personal observations:

1. My current YZs probably have the easiest stock motor for novices to ride.  They don't have much power at low to mid rpm, but they don't fall totally flat either.  As I said earlier, having an 05 and 06 (pre SSS vs. SSS), the suspension difference is not particularly relevant for the riding I do.  Probably important for MX only guys.. 

2. My 04 RM 125 was one of my favorite bikes ever, and I kept it for 8 years, which is FAR longer than I keep most bikes.  I just wore it out, basically.  Also, RM guys tend to make a big fuss over 03 vs 04 (motor change).  Again, having significant seat time on both, I don't think it is a huge deal for the average rider.

3. My 02 CR was probably the best handling bike I've ever owned.  It was only a 5 speed however, making connecting fire roads a pain, and the motor was not novice friendly.

4. KX 125s from 03 'till the end are just all-around nice bikes.  They are solid mechanically, and work well in all kinds of riding conditions.  They are pretty rare however.  If I ever come across a clean one, I'm buying it!

Thanks for the help...Bit of a vague question again but when going to buy a bike, besides the common questions to ask, are there any model specific questions I should be asking about certain bikes. Things that may be a common problem for a specific year ex "check to make sure the ____ valve on the '05 kawi isn't worn out because this is a big fix". Stuff like that

Thanks for the help...Bit of a vague question again but when going to buy a bike, besides the common questions to ask, are there any model specific questions I should be asking about certain bikes. Things that may be a common problem for a specific year ex "check to make sure the ____ valve on the '05 kawi isn't worn out because this is a big fix". Stuff like that

I believe there was a recall on some shift drums on the YZ125's for pre 2007 bikes, someone correct me if I'm wrong about the year, it's been awhile since I owned my YZ.

The older YZ's share a lot of parts with the new ones. Other than orange, none of the others are made any more so you are not going to have the parts availability or aftermarket support that the YZ has. 

It's really easy to spend a lot of money on an older bike. You start taking something apart and find something else bent, broken, stuck or just plain worn out. You are usually farther ahead buying a newer one that needs less work. 

The SSS suspension is worth it. I came off a Husky with well set up KYB forks (same forks the early 2000 YZ's had). It took about one bump to notice how much better the SSS suspension works. Yes, you can buy a set and put them on an older bike, but you have the cost of the forks, a rebuild, maybe a re-valve and springs and just like that you have spent $800 on a bike that is worth $1200.

The older YZ's share a lot of parts with the new ones. Other than orange, none of the others are made any more so you are not going to have the parts availability or aftermarket support that the YZ has.

It's really easy to spend a lot of money on an older bike. You start taking something apart and find something else bent, broken, stuck or just plain worn out. You are usually farther ahead buying a newer one that needs less work.

The SSS suspension is worth it. I came off a Husky with well set up KYB forks (same forks the early 2000 YZ's had). It took about one bump to notice how much better the SSS suspension works. Yes, you can buy a set and put them on an older bike, but you have the cost of the forks, a rebuild, maybe a re-valve and springs and just like that you have spent $800 on a bike that is worth $1200.

All depends though. A new bike is $8k or so. If you shop right you can buy a good used bike, do some part swapping and be all in for $2500 and have a bike better then what's offered stock off the showroom floor...

All depends though. A new bike is $8k or so. If you shop right you can buy a good used bike, do some part swapping and be all in for $2500 and have a bike better then what's offered stock off the showroom floor...

I was thinking more of something a few years old that has taken the new bike depreciation hit, but is not at the old bike POS stage. 

I think it would be hard to have something as good as new for a $2500 investment. You could probably have something decent if you can do most of the work yourself and can find good used parts. 

Also assuming you don't live in Ontario where if it sparks it is considered "mint" and worth at least $3k.

I was thinking more of something a few years old that has taken the new bike depreciation hit, but is not at the old bike POS stage.

I think it would be hard to have something as good as new for a $2500 investment. You could probably have something decent if you can do most of the work yourself and can find good used parts.

Also assuming you don't live in Ontario where if it sparks it is considered "mint" and worth at least $3k.

Oh BC is like that... 95 KX 250s beat to piss for $2200.....MINT! SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY! NEW TOP-END WITH ONLY 22HRS ON IT! So many roached bikes and people asking insane prices...

The older YZ's share a lot of parts with the new ones. Other than orange, none of the others are made any more so you are not going to have the parts availability or aftermarket support that the YZ has

Is finding oem/aftermarket parts for bikes other than ktm, yamaha actually difficult? I understand it might take some finessing with ebay and craigslist but for the most part is it that difficult?

Is finding oem/aftermarket parts for bikes other than ktm, yamaha actually difficult? I understand it might take some finessing with ebay and craigslist but for the most part is it that difficult?

The parts for the YZ are still current, so a dealer is far more likely to have them in stock. I have no idea how easy it is to get parts for the others, but it only makes sense that they will not be as readily available, and that it will only get worse.