Sign in to follow this  

05 YZ: Will offset triple clamps help handling?

I have an 05' YZ with 07' SSS forks, revalved suspension with a Yama-link lowering link. I recently bought an 03' KX125 to restore for my brother. Once I got it in running shape I took it to the track and was amazed how easy the KX turned compared to my YZ. The bike also feels overall around shorter and not as long as the YZ.

I hear that buying triple clamps with a different off set will help with turning. I have played with fork heights in the clamps but still have not found what I am looking for.  I ride strictly MX.

What are you experiences with aftermarket triple clamps? I believe stock offset is 25mm and I have seen options for 22.5mm and 23mm. WHat brand? WHere did you get it from? What did you like or not like about it? Any tradeoffs?

Thank you for your help!

Pic:

yellowYZ125_zpsb0d67886.jpg

• Like 1

The lowering link in the rear is going to mess with the bikes geometry and make the front ride higher. 

If you only ride MX then why put the link in ?

Try it with standard link and compare.

• Like 1

Check your sag setting. The manual for that bike (I have an 05 myself) specifies 3.5 to 3.9 inches, whereas most of the people on this site seem to recommend 4 plus inches. I found that my bike had major oversteer (too much turning and rear wheel steps out) when the sag was 3.5. I settled on a setting right in the middle of the recommended range for woods riding. If your are beyond the recommended range that could make the bike sluggish.

You might also check the length of your chain and see if you can shorten the wheelbase by taking a link out. My KTM has reversible chain adjusters that allow running different length chains. The change in wheelbase does make a difference in how the bike turns. Yamahas do not have reverseable chain adjusters, but you still may be able to remove a link. Just make sure there is enough slack for the wheel to travel through its arc as the suspension compresses.

Don't overlook your front tire. I like a narrow m59 Bridgestone on my yz.

Finally, don't expect your bike to be the best at everything. Ha ha sometimes you get the feeling from this site that yamaha is infallible and other manufacturers know nothing. Maybe you need to add a KX to the stable!

• Like 1

Shawn - I could put the regular link in I guess. But the bike came with it installed. I am a short dude 5'7" and weigh in at 155. I have the bike sag set at 4.25". Even then I am tippy toeing the bike which isn't very confidence inspiring. I guess I could get used to it but I hear that the lowering link helps with traction. I probably do need to set the setting at 4". The YZ just feels tall to me.

RPT- I really do like the YZ, it does everything else better except turn, but like you said, it may be a set up problem. The YZ has re-valved suspension, ported head ( Dyno's 40HP) and is a monster for a stock bore 125. Where the KX turns better, lot less power but its smooth with a nice hit. Its kind of nice in the lower - mid  and falls off in the upper end where the YZ will rip your arms out of your sockets (which I like too). I have some Bridgestone 404 in the rear, and a 203 in the front on the YZ. Where the KX has Michelin MH3's.I am now a firm believer that the MH3s are a way superior tire after that ride so I am sure that may have has something to do with it also. I am surely going to get a set for the YZ.

Like is said, I bought the bike for my brother and now that I got it up, I am going to hate parting with it. Its a great bike. I will have to get one myself when I hand it over. As of now the KX is at the shop getting the suspension re-valved/re-sprung and some port work done and if I am lucky some newer forks.

Thanks for the replies! I will give them a try.

Jeff

I would run the standard link and have the seat shaved which will give you an inch and a half approx back.

Never liked lowering links.  

• Like 1

You can't throw a link on the rear and do nothing with the front and expect it to handle. Unless you expect it to handle poorly, then your all set.

I have done stuff to the front... raised and lowered the tubes, revalved suspension, different tires, and experimented with the air pressure. If there is other stuff to try on the front other than offset clamps let me know. It does everything else well: tracks, traction is good, hooks up great, soaks up bumps, lands great just doesn't turn as well as the KX. If I never rode the KX I wouldn't know the difference. It doesn't turn poorly, just not as good as the KX.

I will throw in the stock link and see what that does, then that would bring me back to stock geometry. If that fixes it, then I will do like Shawn says and shave the seat.

Edited by My96z

BTW, if your sag isn't set right, everything else will be out the window. Set it where it needs to be, re-spring it if necessary, and then if you're still not where you want to be with the turning qualities, a different offset triple might be the answer. I've never ridden a YZ125, but I can't think of anyone being unhappy with the bike's turning. But sag is #1 in my opinion and it being set right for you versus not right will make for two completely different rides. Plus it's free to adjust and cheap to make right if you need springs.

• Like 1

Agree with putting stock link back in. Spent ages messing with offset clamps(22mm). Went back to stock in the end. Apart from looking cool they messed up the front end grip on less than perfect surfaces for me, just could not make them as all round predictable as stock. Different offset clamps work fine for some people, stock clamps work fine for a lot of people.

I have done stuff to the front... raised and lowered the tubes, revalved suspension, different tires, and experimented with the air pressure. If there is other stuff to try on the front other than offset clamps let me know. It does everything else well: tracks, traction is good, hooks up great, soaks up bumps, lands great just doesn't turn as well as the KX. If I never rode the KX I wouldn't know the difference. It doesn't turn poorly, just not as good as the KX.

I will throw in the stock link and see what that does, then that would bring me back to stock geometry. If that fixes it, then I will do like Shawn says and shave the seat.

And your Kawasaki's are not usually known as that great of a turning bike, typically.

Will different off-set clamps help? Possibly.

I've played around with different clamps too, and usually end up back at stock. Do they help quicken steering? Heck Yeah!! But for me, the traditional Yamaha stability is traded away, and I'm so used to that, that I can't give it up. I love that "planted" feel I get with the stock clamps, but that's just me and my opinion.

I have an 05' YZ with 07' SSS forks, revalved suspension with a Yama-link lowering link. I recently bought an 03' KX125 to restore for my brother. Once I got it in running shape I took it to the track and was amazed how easy the KX turned compared to my YZ. The bike also feels overall around shorter and not as long as the YZ.

I hear that buying triple clamps with a different off set will help with turning. I have played with fork heights in the clamps but still have not found what I am looking for.  I ride strictly MX.

What are you experiences with aftermarket triple clamps? I believe stock offset is 25mm and I have seen options for 22.5mm and 23mm. WHat brand? WHere did you get it from? What did you like or not like about it? Any tradeoffs?

Thank you for your help!

Pic:

yellowYZ125_zpsb0d67886.jpg

The bike is looking good !!!!

The bike is looking good !!!!

Thanks! Its the little brother to yours! How is yours running?

Thanks! Its the little brother to yours! How is yours running?

its running great . hope to get it out this weekend.

I have a YZ125 and 250. The stock 125 turns pretty awesome on its own. My 250 has RG3 22mm clamps and that did help my turning in tight woods transitions, but it took a fair amount of tuning my set up to get it there.

The stock 125 turns great on the MX track. I would start messing with set up, tire selection, body position, etc. before trying clamps.

The lower offset clamps work great to improve cornering everywhere as long as your suspension is set up properly.  If you have a divey and soft front end, it will cause problems in sand.

The 05 yz 250 was the first year of aluminum frames and they also have a different frame design which makes it a little different method of handling than most bikes I have the same bike and it's slit different method of riding than other bikes

I am going to try the stock link, reset the sag and then go from there. I didn't have a problem with the YZ's turning till I rode the KX and now I just want it as good as the KX. It surprised me.

It could be something to do with the set up or the link could be doing it or something I have set up wrong. We will see.

Ghill, I though if I got clamps I would have to buy the upper and lower?