For the excessive lighting fans.

Im considering replacing my Chinese hid with one of two Baja designs lights.

Either an 8 inch lapaz hid or one of these little boogers .

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=530003

Anybody have experience with the led? I think I read 4000 lumens, im unsure what the lapaz hid puts out.

Opinions, and facts welcome. Street legality is of no concern to me, ive had non legal hid lighting on the bike for almost 7 years already.

• Like 1

Got a pair for 100 bucks on Amazon. 60 for the little 10w led floods. Ive managed to crash or burn up ballasts 5 Chinese hid lights. I recycle the ballast and my 5th one is dying. Im guessing switching on and off alot or voltage challenges on weak components.

Got a pair for 100 bucks on Amazon. 60 for the little 10w led floods. Ive managed to crash or burn up ballasts 5 Chinese hid lights. I recycle the ballast and my 5th one is dying. Im guessing switching on and off alot or voltage challenges on weak components.

You can extend the life of the cheaper ballasts (and good ones as well) by installing an on/ off switch

Keep light off until bike is running, turn light off before killing bike

The under volt in both those situations is hard on the ballast

• Like 4

You can extend the life of the cheaper ballasts (and good ones as well) by installing an on/ off switch

Keep light off until bike is running, turn light off before killing bike

The under volt in both those situations is hard on the ballast

Thats what I was thinking it was. I already have a diode pack so the high beam controls the on/ off of the hid, while allowing the LEDs to stay on at all times. Vagrantidol has found some cheaper alternative lights to the Baja designs, im just wary of more Chinese crap with no warranty. This makes me willing to drop the cash with Baja designs, and consider led due to the boards being less voltage sensitive.

• Like 2

Anybody have experience with the led? I think I read 4000 lumens, im unsure what the lapaz hid puts out.

Opinions, and facts welcome. Street legality is of no concern to me, ive had non legal hid lighting on the bike for almost 7 years already.

No experience with LED's, but love the light man.......4,300 lumens is some major output. Am thinking you're gonna like that baby... 😏

• Like 1

I've put a Baja Squadron (the one that comes with a headlight shell, the regular one that is) on my DRZ... I have to say it's F*CKING AMAZING! It lights up the night and turns the area in front of me into day. Totally worth every penny, even though it was kinda expensive! :D

Edited by Paul_
  • Like 1

looks like a nice light. if you gave it to me right now, i'd sell it on ebay and use the money to buy $40-50 worth of LED helmet lights and heavy duty velcro. The rest would go to gas and tires. 

if you haven't tried helmet mounted illumination yet, do it. 🙂 it are fantastico ! 🙂

• Like 1

I will be installing one of the new LED bulbs in my stock S housing this week. I had a crappie aftermarket setup that was two 35 watt MR 16 bulbs on my E model, but wanted something that actually works. I'm anxious to see how the LED works and if it fixes the issues I'm dealing with.

Lumens dont tell the whole lighting story...I think 7k is going to be plenty tho. I know there are much cheaper options out there, I wanted a warranty and the squadron xl has a bunch of usa made or processed parts which I liked.

I will post pics when I get the engine and lights back together .

Advmonster is a small company (I think it's just like 1 guy) but he started on the ADVrider! his lights (I also had a remote from him to control the lights mounted on the brake reservoir) have been beaten on from sitting in rain for 12 hours while I'm at work to freezing temps, to a bunch of crashes offroad, and even bashing around on an mx track for several hours at a time throughout the summer. Lights are strong and good quality they are also easy to take apart to be able to clean!

Only the tail tech lights are in so far. Good light color temp, good build quality. TERRIBLY NARROW PATTERN. I can deal with this since the squadron xl comes with different lenses to refine my pattern. This wiring mess is temporary. It will be bagged , strapped and hidden.

1418594243152.jpg

• Like 1

Only the tail tech lights are in so far. Good light color temp, good build quality. TERRIBLY NARROW PATTERN. I can deal with this since the squadron xl comes with different lenses to refine my pattern. This wiring mess is temporary. It will be bagged , strapped and hidden.

How do you have those mounted?