Breaking the master link on my chain

I am break the master link on my chain. I have the clip off but the cap or retainer won't budge. I have bent a screwdriver trying to pry it off and tried hammering a shim behind it to push it off but it's not budging. Other chains I've had come off as easily as this: Part 10: How to disassemble a motocross bike. Removing chain. YZ250F example. . Do certain types of chains require chain breakers or is the cap just seized?

Edited by connorr93

Lightly squeeze it out with pliers or vice grips, one side a bit at a time.

Squeeze the pins out? I have a chain breaker so removing the pins is no problem. My question is weather that is required or not. On other chains I've had the retainer would come off easily.

A good master link clip type needs a press to put the plate on and take it off. Clip) and rivet type) links should not be reused. There is wear and stress placed on the clip and plate (and link pins) when assembled and dis-assembled. Remove and replace with new.

Always use the correct tools. Never 'pry with screwdrivers and hit with hammers'.

• Like 2

You put the clip on backwards, or don't get it completely snapped on, it'll come off. Setting at the trail head one time, taking a break with some guys I was riding with and one fellow realizes, "wow, my master link clip is gone". No idea how long it's been gone, may have been gone for a month, but now that he knows, immediate paranoia and the ride is over until he got another one on there. 😏

Because I don't want to destroy my master link. Maybe I didn't make my issue clear. Anyways I found a similar thread here: Master link removal - General Dirt Bike Discussion ... it looks like I just need a bigger hammer.

Don't be a retard. Press the plate off and press it back on again if you want to be a cheapskate. Everyone else just buys a new one. They don't last as long as the rest of the chain.

This is not a difficult job, don't over-think it.

• Like 1