DRZ's with low miles? HOW?

Okay, so I've been seeing this so much lately that I am forced to start this thread, maybe you guys could clear up some of my confusion. So often I am seeing older model drz's with crazy low mileage. 2007 drz400sm 7000 miles. 2007 drz400sm 1700 miles. 2009 drz400sm 8000 miles... Someone please tell me how these numbers are possible. I have a 2014 drz400sm that I bought in JUNE, had 0 miles, now has 8000 miles, in less than 6 months. Do these people hate their bikes? Are they unplugging their speedos and just lying about it? What is UP?... Why no ride???? I'm I the only one outraged by this? If you are someone who is guilty of this, please, shed some light.

BLKRAWB, on 26 Nov 2014 - 9:22 PM, said:BLKRAWB, on 26 Nov 2014 - 9:22 PM, said:

Unplugged Speedo and buying a vapor does increase value....on resale of speedo or bike.

That is sad isn't it? It shouldn't be so easy to do that. Must suck to be a buyer who fell for a trick like that. I am never changing speedo's. I'm gonna where my mileage like a badge of honor. The way I treat my bike, it should definitely see 100k, although I don't even think the odometer reaches that high, I guess it cycles back to 0 and starts over??. And I will most certainly never sell it. I could never let anyone else's filthy hands have their way with my drz, hell NO

Edited by nevermindpulse

BLKRAWB, on 26 Nov 2014 - 9:55 PM, said:

I just told myself....f- it we are riding each other into the ground

Damn right! That's the spirit. Keep 'em alive! I think it'd be so cool to see a drz with over 100k, being maintained with high proficiency along the way. What a trusty bike that will be.

Noble, on 26 Nov 2014 - 9:53 PM, said:

Many many motorcycles are purchased on a whim, then see little use.  Good for the second owner.

Makes you wonder if they even to how to motorcycle. :bonk:

Bought my 2014 DRZ400SM mid august with 550 miles on it, now it has 4,200 on it. I ride it to work (when it's not raining or too cold) which is 7 miles each way, and I ride it for fun whenever I can. I plan on riding it right into the ground. I'm paying all this money for it, why not get the most out of it.

Jasonb85, on 26 Nov 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:

Bought my 2014 DRZ400SM mid august with 550 miles on it, now it has 4,200 on it. I ride it to work (when it's not raining or too cold) which is 7 miles each way, and I ride it for fun whenever I can. I plan on riding it right into the ground. I'm paying all this money for it, why not get the most out of it.

I totally get what your saying about the money. I got my bike on a loan. After all is done and paid for, mods included, i'll have about 13-14 grand in this bike. Selling it would not be wise, I would be down like 9 grand.

• Like 1

I can't say why people buy a bike and don't actually ride it, but I am not "outraged" by it. Surprised...yes. That just means that for the rest of us there are deals to be had on a barely used bike. I look around on Craigs list often and see the same thing. Actually the SM's do seem to get more use. I ran across an 04 S recently that had around 800 miles on it. I don't understand it either. :huh:

If I had a SM, I know I would ride it way more than my S in full dirt mode.

• Like 1

My 05 has 8k...all put on in the first year n a half commuting to work and off-roading a couple weekends a month at Ocotilla Wells or Glamis. The bike sat out to pasture for almost 7 years, due to various reasons I will not go into Now that I got it up n runnin again a few months ago, I'm riding street almost everyday, just no commuting or serious off-road anymore.

I think more folks buy bikes for pleasure rather than commuting (even tho commuting was a pleasure for me), hence the low miles.

• Like 2

I am guessing there are a lot of reasons for why there are low mile DRZs out there. I really doubt these people hate their bikes, but probably have multiple hobbies, family, or limited riding seasons. I have riding buddies that have many motorcycles and they all get use (mileage split among them all).

There are a million reasons why. You just have to open your mind a little.

Bought my "06 s with 520 miles from a 65 year old harley dude.  He was in Sturgis when i first called on it.  He said he only rides his harley for pleasure and never commutes to work on his bike.  Never got into off roading as much as he thought when he bought the DR,  and it sat.  It looked like it had been dumped in the dirt once or twice... unless they came with renthal bars on 06.

Although I was skeptical, I could see nothing that would suggest more miles than indicated, and it sounded good.  My '05 450x I got new in '05 is still on its second set of tires... :banghead:

Edited by notime

I can't say why people buy a bike and don't actually ride it, but I am not "outraged" by it. Surprised...yes. That just means that for the rest of us there are deals to be had on a barely used bike. I look around on Craigs list often and see the same thing. Actually the SM's do seem to get more use. I ran across an 04 S recently that had around 800 miles on it. I don't understand it either. :huh:

If I had a SM, I know I would ride it way more than my S in full dirt mode.

Your right about drzsm , it gets ridden more than S ,thats why i bought a S 4kmiles (it is original miles , i already pop the valve cover and checked the valve specs ,chain condition and its all in good shape , also frame pc underneath is spot less 🙂)and turn it to SM

I am guessing there are a lot of reasons for why there are low mile DRZs out there. I really doubt these people hate their bikes, but probably have multiple hobbies, family, or limited riding seasons. I have riding buddies that have many motorcycles and they all get use (mileage split among them all).

There are a million reasons why. You just have to open your mind a little.

Well yea I know the reasons. Guess I just had to express my obsession for riding. Don't really have a whole lot of other hobbies and I ride year round. I'm also only blessed enough to have one motorcycle. So I supposed I'm the abnormal one. I really have been racking up the miles. I was being deliberately blunt. Just wanted to see how others felt about the subject.