michelin slicks

I found some tires for my super moto conversion project close to me and was wondering if it is a good deal or not or if it would the wrong type of tire for a super moto?

the tires are " Michelin Racing Slicks 120/60-17 front and 16/63-17 rear, soft compound "  new , never mounted for $250 obo.

the bike the will be going on is a 2003 Honda cr250.  I have not got wheels yet so im a little hesitant to buy tires before I get wheels but they seem like a good tire for a good price and no shipping which is a lot here in Canada. ( no where has free shipping to Canada ).  I have been looking at  the warp 9 wheel set. What width rear wheel would be best for this tire, 5" or 4.25" ?

any thoughts or advice for a winter build ?

oh , and it will be primarily used at a smaller type go-cart type track only.

No highway, road or any track with long straights or dirt/jumps.

slicks.jpg

Those tires are designed to work best in a 4.5-5" rim. Price is okay, not a screaming deal. Probably old stock... check production date codes.

4.25" rim with a 150 rear will probably give more flexibility for mounting. Check out FasterUSA wheel sets. They have a good deal on a complete setup including Excel rims, brakes, tires, et al.

Not putting down Warp9, but their rims are not Excel and they use proprietary bolt patterns, meaning you have to run their sprockets and rotors.

Thanks for the advise.

I cant get a mounted tire shipped across the border so I was going to wheel set from the usa then get some tires and mount them here.

I have no experience in supermoto so I appreciate all the advice. I didnt realize that about warp 9 wheels only use their own sorockets. I Will look into faster usa .

I can maybe get the tires for $200 I offered, no reply yet. He said they were for a bike he no longer owns.

Thanks for the advise.

I cant get a mounted tire shipped across the border so I was going to wheel set from the usa then get some tires and mount them here.

I have no experience in supermoto so I appreciate all the advice. I didnt realize that about warp 9 wheels only use their own sorockets. I Will look into faster usa .

I can maybe get the tires for $200 I offered, no reply yet. He said they were for a bike he no longer owns.

Remember, you can offset your rear hoop to give you more clearance just by dealing with the spokes.

Start at say the Valve stem and loosen one spoke say quarter turn then tighten spoke on other side same amount and continue until you reach where you started ? I only run a 5" rear, won't go any smaller. My bike turns in quicker than most with a 4,25 and I have better rear traction ? I do plan to go 5.5 here soon.

Edited by Debi

I have read a few tricks to gain some clearance , like non oring chain, cutting a little off the tire, adjusting spokes. Some more about chain guard on the top maybe.

A have reaserched a little and people are putting a 5"rim on the crf450's and they are the same swing arm, suspension, chain/sprockets, and stock wheels as the late model cr250. For the most part.

I got the tires for $200.

Its a little uncomfortable buying them first before anything else .

Any other kinds of wheel sets besides fasterUSA. Just looking for all my options.

I will need a wheel set oversized front brake rotor and bracket, anything else?

Do most tracks need you to have a coolant overflow catch can abd a carb vent hose catch can?

Good deal on the tires. 5" will work but you will have to offset. Most wheel builders dont so you might have to do it yourself when you get the wheels. Track requirments vary by track. Check woth guus who ride in your area. Buy precautions to keep your fluids off the track are appreciated.

I got the tires for $200.

Its a little uncomfortable buying them first before anything else .

Any other kinds of wheel sets besides fasterUSA. Just looking for all my options.

I will need a wheel set oversized front brake rotor and bracket, anything else?

Do most tracks need you to have a coolant overflow catch can abd a carb vent hose catch can?

Here is a good source for those hard to find parts

http://www.motostrano.com/Supermoto-s/2852.htm

Yes, Catch cans are a must on 99.4% of tracks, remove antifreeze, replace with Water Wetter, safetywire oil drain plug, oil filler, oil filter cover, radiator cap, use coolant can ( most bikes have the reservoir which is fine), oil can for the breather hose, catch can for carb vent lines, peg sliders, axle sliders, hand guards and basically the bike needs to be leaking no fluids ?