Making an XR250R street legal (PEI)

Hey, I'm looking to buy an xr250r or something similar and turn it into a dual sport, it just needs to meet the minimum requirements as I won't be doing much street riding. I'm just wonder what I would need to do on PEI to make it street legal and if it's even possible. I wouldn't think it's too hard because I've seen street legal xr400's before. Thanks in advance for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Why are you looking at the xr250 specifically? I don't know much about that specific bike, but there are lots of street legal four stroke dual sports on the market, would save you the pain of modding and hoping it gets plated. Id like to plate a dirt bike some season too, but because Id like a smaller 2-stroke. Currently ride a xt250. Where do you rodeo the island? Or do you go to the mainland?

*ride on the island

Stupid autocorrect

Why are you looking at the xr250 specifically? I don't know much about that specific bike, but there are lots of street legal four stroke dual sports on the market, would save you the pain of modding and hoping it gets plated. Id like to plate a dirt bike some season too, but because Id like a smaller 2-stroke. Currently ride a xt250. Where do you rodeo the island? Or do you go to the mainland?

*ride on the island

Stupid autocorrect

I'm looking at every bike I can, there are almost no dual sport bikes for sale in the maritimes especially pei, most of the bikes are overpriced or in rough shape, I currently do my riding on the island but in the summer I'm going on the trails in nova scotia.

Four stroke 250s are a popular enough engine, Id seriously save the hassle of modding if you can. Might be hard on the island to even find someone knowledgable enough to do the inspection to plate it after its modded. Had an old CB when we lived on the island and there never did find a good place to have it looked at. Have you thought of picking one up in Maine or NH?

Four stroke 250s are a popular enough engine, Id seriously save the hassle of modding if you can. Might be hard on the island to even find someone knowledgable enough to do the inspection to plate it after its modded. Had an old CB when we lived on the island and there never did find a good place to have it looked at. Have you thought of picking one up in Maine or NH?

I can barely afford to drive to nova scotia for a bike, won't be able to afford a trip to the states for a while.

EDIT: Also there isn't much hassle involved with modding the bike, the dual sport kits can be installed within a couple hours on your own, getting the inspection is no problem I just need to know if it's possible to make an xr250 street legal here. It would save a lot of money and time if I could just pick up an xr 250 and get a dual sport kit instead of trying to find a bike that's already street legal because here the term "dual sport" means you get to make up whatever price you want on a bike.

Edited by BringHelp

Try calling accessPEI then? I live out west now, but when I was looking at it this summer I just called the motor-vehicle dept here, they sent me the legislation for what all bikes need to be street legal, and then once done all the mods you take a form and the bike to a dealership and they verify the bike meets the standards and sign off. Only shitty thing was only dealerships do the forms so SOL here if there's no dealership for the type of bike you have. And if there's no current similar bike a dealership may not say "yeah now it's just like a crf250" or whatever (ex. A kawi dealership may sign off on a kx250 made street legal because they can say it's similar to the klx250, but a suzuki dealer may not sign off on an old ds185 with the additions bc they can't say it's similar to any current bike) Anyways, maybe similar?

And what you pay extra on the bike, you save in insurance out there. Cheapest bike insurance we ever had.

This xr250s look like sweet old bikes though! Love those vintage enduros.