SM vs E engine question

I have checked but couldn't find exactly.

E & SM are different in (engine case);

- Carbs

- Cams

- Head Pipes

- Comp. ratio = Base Gaskets

Ignition times !  

(I heard, not sure - http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?30738-DRZ400SM-or-DRZ400E-SM&p=278150#post278150 )

I think there is no more difference on engine, not frame or susp.

First, what do you know about that different ignition timing? And lets say I made all the other changes from SM to E, I think I can't change ignition time (changing CDI  :excuseme:  ) so will it screw everything up or affect slightly or do nothing ? Can I ignore it ? If there is ignition difference of course....

Second, Cylinder Base Gaskets 11241-29F00 (for E) and 11241-29F11 (for SM). Are they different gaskets or does SM gasket compromise 3 of E gasket ?? (Single layer, 3 layer things,,,,)

Thanks

Those differences are what I've seen also. I hadn't seen it mentioned before that the ignition curve was different, only that the rev limit of the E CDI was higher, 1000rpm I think?

AFAIK you can split the three-layer S base gasket by popping the rivets out and get the E compression.

Please take these with a grain of salt though, you'll find a few more hints and more reliable info if you search on those particular ideas on here.

• Like 1

There's actually some differences in the frame - tanks are not a direct swap and the exhaust is mounted somewhat differently afaik - nothing that affects daily riding. The E has a softer rear spring (afaik the S was stiffened up to take a passenger, but this actually put it closer to a reasonable spring rate for 1-up riding - the front is still too soft).

• Like 1