100 Octane low lead Avoation gas!

I personally run Ethanol free 91 pump premium, I'm lucky in that the local Mobil gas station carries it.  Performance wise, I can't say that faster or slower than if I were to burn something else because that's all I've ever run through it.  But I've never had a problem, well, after I installed a JD jet kit (factory jetting was rich) ~ after that it's never given me any problems.

Personally I've always felt that unless you've done some serious port or head work, pump premium is all you need.  The only other reason might be that you do not have access to a consistent quality fuel source then you would have to go with an exotic fuel (something that can't be purchased at the local gas station).

• Like 2

I personally run Ethanol free 91 pump premium, I'm lucky in that the local Mobil gas station carries it. Performance wise, I can't say that faster or slower than if I were to burn something else because that's all I've ever run through it. But I've never had a problem, well, after I installed a JD jet kit (factory jetting was rich) ~ after that it's never given me any problems.

Personally I've always felt that unless you've done some serious port or head work, pump premium is all you need. The only other reason might be that you do not have access to a consistent quality fuel source then you would have to go with an exotic fuel (something that can't be purchased at the local gas station).

I like to run an advanced timing, and have rather rich tuning to assist with it...but it gets up to 115 degrees here for days at a time and at that temp, when your running down the dunes at the river getting that cooling system plumb heat soaked, you need that lil boost of resistance to pre-detonation

So I am a fan of at least 95 octane for those kinds of Conditons...but your not likely to encounter a need for anything over 91 unless you have a high compression motor (mebe over 11.7:1)

But always listen for knock when you really pin it for extended periods, really don't want to blow one apart needlessly

My buddy mixes the blue 101 low lead from the airport with yamalube (comes out purple, we call it purple drank)....his yz250 loves it

I mix it with pump gas 91 and Motorex. It is Purple Drank for sure. Haha that's awesume.

My scoot seems to pull harder in the meat of the power with the avgas. Plus in the tight single track if she can stay a little cooler than that is a plus

• Like 2

Keep an eye on your plug I ran it in my 14 300 from new till 20 hrs ran great pulled the plug and it was a yellow greenish color swiched to non ethanol super plug turned a nice light brown color

LOL.......... Jetting... Read up or get a TTR. KTMs are race bikes guys.

I have heard before that because of the density changes in specific gravity between race fuel and pump gas, there is usually not a need to re-jet for low lead...but this is no sure thing, as my crf comes with rather lean jetting, even with the jd kit, I had to request bigger jets for my machine just for pump gas...but I'm almost sea level too

Edited by bobsled

I almost hate to admit it, but I can't tell difference between 87 and 91 octane in my bike

What is the temp where you ride? If it's not usually over 85 you may not really be able to feel it unless you mod the bike for high compression (or it came stock way high)

Advance your timing, and you'll feel the difference, I promise

Edited by bobsled

What is the temp where you ride? If it's not usually over 85 you may not really be able to feel it unless you mod the bike for high compression (or it came stock way high)

I'm in southern Nv, so low hundreds in summer, down to 50's now.

One weekend the station where I ride was out of 91. The funny thing is that even with the cheap gas the bike never pings. It kind of surprised me , too.

Edited by drtbkjoe

Im actually quite suprised...maybe it's the humidity here that makes the air more dense, and so we get more out of high octane...what's your elevation like? What machine?

2012 ktm 300 XC, 2500-2800 ft.

It's interesting what you say about humidity. I'm from Florida( sea level and ridiculous humidity and bikes seem more "ping able "

Edited by drtbkjoe

I tried to find the spec for it via google, but got lazy after 2mins, however iirc those are a lower compression bike...aren't they a tuned down version of another bike? Not too familiar with the ktm lineup, but I was thinking they added an Enduro flywheel and some other trail goodies to make a more friendly bike

Water has more oxygen in it than the air we breath, thus needing more fuel, or higher octane at minimum...also, at these lower altitudes, since the air is a bit more dense it suspends more water in a CC than air of the same relative humidity 1,000 ft up

Edited by bobsled