Just bought a 2012 KTM 500 EXC and have some basic questions before i ride this sunday

Hello,

I have some simple questions and I cannot find the answers as yet from the online pdf manual. How the hell do I get to the choke knob/button on the carb. The bike starts up fine and runs on tickover great but I cannot reach the choke knob to see if the choke is out or in ? To check the engine oil level, does it matter if the engine is hot (warm) or cold ? That's it, no more questions for now. Hope soembody can help me here. Thanks, Anton

Huh...... I didn't even know they had it since it's FI....

Always check oil cold.

The same knob that adjusts idle speed pulls out and is a fast idle for when the bike is real cold.  Had to use mine a couple times when hauling in cold weather and starting for the first time of the day.

I started a similar topic on ananother forum. These were the responses:

1-That's not a choke valve on a 500exc, it's a fast idle. Has nothing to do with the enrichment of the motor, that's taken care of by the ECU and temp sensors, all that does is raise the idle to keep it running when it's cold and has a tendency to stall. I have a 500 and never use that, it's not needed. Start the bike up, keep it running for about 20sec with the throttle and then let off slowly and it will keep running (at a low RPM initially) as it warms up. Turning it in (CW) raises the idle, out to lower, exact opposite of a normal idle screw.

2- It's a fast idle setting when pulled out. Leave it pushed in and follow my directions above. Most of us can't even reach that with a larger tank and never use it

3-Choke - actually blocks the intake with a butterfly or slide to make the engine run rich. They are easily adjusted from minimal to maximum closing virtually infinitely adjustable. Hondas used to almost exclusively use them on street bikes. Kiehin made a lot of Honda carbs with the choke butterflys, the choke was in the throat just in front of the slide. Some Amals used a guillotine slide that blocked off the intake in the front of the slide. If ignored, a closed choke can cause an engine to run extremely rich. Rich enough to foul plugs since they do block the intake, while the slide can still open and feed a lot of fuel.

Enrichener - uses a separate circuit that draws fuel/air mix on the back side of the slide while the slide is closed. Mikuni uses them, causes that notorious Kawasaki high idle - like 5000 rpm when warming up! They are almost an on/off thing, adjustment is extremely difficult because of the circuit design. There is a very small range of movement to adjust it, the plunger is closed down nearly blocking the circuit before it has any effect. The enrichener can be left on even after the bike is hot, only adding a minimal amount of fuel when the throttle is opened up. They only really affect the engine when the throttle is closed. I've ridden miles and not noticed I hadn't shut off the enrichener (often labeled "choke"), just noticing it when I came to a stop and the idle was lumpy or high. I've used it to see when jetting was too lean. I had surging, pulling the enrichener added just enough to make it smooth out, proving the mix was lean.

Fuel injection doesn't need either one. It simply uses the electronics to richen or lean out the mix. That knob or whatever it is simply electronically controls idle so the bike doesn't stumble and stall, which apparently might be possible on some EFI bikes. Clearly not critical with most EFIs even some that have the idle adjuster deal.

Screenshot_2014-10-17-22-27-08_1.jpg

I can't reach my 'choke' for the life of me. I was able to get at it enough with a screw driver to bump the idle up just a little and so far it's started no problem, and it's been in the high 20s to low 30s the last week or so.

Thumbs up! That's the most detailed post I've ever seen

Thanks but I just copy pasted from another thread. Very useful though.

I can't reach my 'choke' for the life of me. I was able to get at it enough with a screw driver to bump the idle up just a little and so far it's started no problem, and it's been in the high 20s to low 30s the last week or so.

I have acreage to slightly above average long fingers - can barely reach the wheel knob with my index & middle finger.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to try holding the throttle slightly for 20 seconds to see how that works.  My 2014 500exc is my daily driver and the last few weeks as the temps have dropped, the bike is just barely idleing when it is first started and sometimes even dies.  I dont want to turn the idle up because once it is warm, its right at about 2000 +-. 

I just stopped by my local dealer to see if the had any sort of extender for the know and they dont..I have not found a way to get my fingers in there yet..

I am going to try holding the throttle slightly for 20 seconds to see how that works.  My 2014 500exc is my daily driver and the last few weeks as the temps have dropped, the bike is just barely idleing when it is first started and sometimes even dies.  I dont want to turn the idle up because once it is warm, its right at about 2000 +-. 

I just stopped by my local dealer to see if the had any sort of extender for the know and they dont..I have not found a way to get my fingers in there yet..

Adjust your TPS, you're probably running too lean. When it's properly set the bike should start immediately at 20 or 30 degrees and hold idle after a couple of seconds.

I'd try .62x with the pipe screen in, .64x with it out. ( x=1-9)

The bike has a sensor called IAT that compensates for temperature. FI vehicles do not use chokes or anything like it, the ECM in conjunction with the sensors adjust fueling so they properly cold start. I have found when the temperature is < 20 degrees or so the system doesn't compensate that well but still doesn't require a long warm up to idle. The ECM on these bikes do not adjust cold idle like automotive units do.

I have to use mine when temps are below 40 or so.  I'm frequently at 6k ft, so that's another factor.  I have the stock tank and can reach it easily, after practice.  The trick is to look for it until you get used to it's location.  Then using your left hand backwards, the index finger is long enough to reach it.  You can just pull it out half way without clicking it out all the way to start, then after 20 seconds just let go and it should idle normally.  Turning the thing is harder but with practice it becomes routine.  My TPS is set, but when it's cold, the idle increase is still needed.  This is another reason I'm glad I didn't get a bigger tank.  I have a couple containers that adds 1 gallon when I need it.