Old stiff/thick oil

I picked up a 2002 XR400R last night to go with my 94 XR205R, it is in good shape but has not been started since August 2012.  I noticed when I was unloading it I had it in 1st gear and using the clutch as  a brake coming down the ramp and notice that it felt like the oil was very thick and stiff with the clutch lever pulled in.

My question is should I drain what I can out of it and replace the same ammount with fesh oil before I start it and then after it has warmed up  then shut is donw and do a full oil change or just start it as is and then do the oil and filter change?

The gent I got it from rode part of the TAT and the following week had a accident on his road bike and now he has his own shaft drive in his right leg and could not start it.

Thanks

Drain the oil for sure, fuel too.  Forks too.  Change all fluids.   Ride it some, then repeat

Thanks davek18, I just tried to drain both sides of the tank and got about a tbl spoon out if each side, I looked in and they is just a little bit of fuel in front of the petcocks, maybe 1/4 cup at most.

I will drain the oil and add the same ammount as I take out before starting, no oil is showing on the dip stick so I guess it as all gone into the lower parts?

I agree, you should drain all the old oil and replace it, filter too, first before starting it. Yes, when the bike sits, the oil drains out of the frame and into the engine. When you do the oil and filter change, be sure to drain from both the drain bolt on the lower engine case and at the frame down tube. And never put back more than 2 qts, no matter what the dipstick shows. Having a 250, you should know the proper oil level check routine.

You should also check to see if any fuel was left in the carb bowl. If there was, the jets and whole carb are almost surely in need of cleaning.

Thanks Trailryder42, i stopped and got my filters, oil and crush washers today, they did not have a O-ring but for getting it started and going I can wait a couple of weeks.

I drained the gas last night and it looks like one of the petcocks was left open so the carb is probably gunked up but I will see.

I got a OEM service manual for both bike  now and will follow them, I have only had the 250 for 29 days and need to work on the kickstands on both bikes because when I go to put the stand down I am still to the right of center, luckly I have a lot of trees I can pull up beside so I can get off without falling over   :crazy:

Well the 400 lives and breathes again.   👍

While I was doing the oil change I put a couple of pints of gas in the tank to dilute the little bit of old gas sitting in each half. After i got the oil changed I drained that gas out and added several pints of gas back in, opened both petcock and then did the start routine of turning up the idle, full choke and so on, then kicked and kicked and kicked, got tired and did my yard work and came back and kicked some more and finally got some fire from it and it ran for about 30 seconds and died, kicked 2 more times and it fired up.  I let it run for about 10 minutes and shut the gas off and let it go to sleep for tonight.   :applause:

• Like 1