Charging problem

So my guess is that my stator is on its way out.

I haven't heard of many issues with the new stator, it's a good unit. Since it's a 3 phase stator, start the bike, take your meter and read the voltage between the three stator outputs. They should all match. Turn the headlight on and check the stator voltage again at a high idle. All three outputs should closely match. If they don't then the stator is faulty. It's rather unlikely with this type of stator all legs would be low. If the voltage output is even and it's > say 20v or so, then read the DC output of the regulator. If the input doesn't sag but the output does when the headlight is on then something is amiss with the regulator or you do in fact have too much electrical load. If both are OK then there is likely some issue with ground someplace. You can set your meter for DC amps (make sure it has the capacity) and read the current draw from the regulator. If it's > around 15A then your are drawing too much power.

In case you don't know how to read these types of stators. Leads are A, B and C. Read A-B, A-C, B-C.

If your cooling fan is running constantly and you have a 65w headlight bulb you could be on or slightly over the edge, especially at low speeds. If I remember right the fan is ~ 4A which is ~50 watts. Add 65 watts with the upgrade headlight and you're at 115 watts, a bit more than what's available after house load.

A lot of 450/500's are running slightly lean causing the fan to run too much. Adjust the TPS to correct this if it is. Another solution is dump the high watt bulb for an LED solution. There's a lot of good options out there now from Baja Designs and other vendors that will blow away halogens and use a fraction of the power.

Like I mentioned, there hasn't been many stator or regulator issues on these bikes.