2002 XR250R2 going to weld the stock shifter onto the shaft

This is my first post to this forum; please let me know if I am forgetting any rules, decorum, etc.

Let me start by saying I own this bike for sentimental reasons. It was the first vehicle I owned in Maui, and I sold it years ago to help with the down payment on a truck.  After I paid off the truck, I bought the bike back, and I must admit I didn't ride her much anymore. About two years ago, a criminal stole her, did a bunch of questionable work, then wrecked out in somebody's yard and was arrested. The police called me after checking the VIN, and now she's been sitting for almost a year and a half. Just recently, I got motivated and drained the oil and gas, and after about ten minutes of furious kicking, she fired right up like it was 2003 again.

The problem I have is that the hapless tweeker completely stripped the shifter and the shaft, and I really don't want to open the case.  I am a very casual rider, but I savor the time I spend on my bike. I would like to put a bead where the shaft meets the outside of the shifter, and possibly in the space between the flanges that you clamp down to keep the shifter in place. Everything is stock, but I am not sure of the composition of the metals in the shaft and shifter. I would like to create as strong an application as possible, and I need to inform the welder of the makeup of metals involved. I read the 2007 and 2008 threads on welding together a broken shaft, and I have a good idea how to keep everything cool and safe, but the specifics of the weld are not mentioned. Admittedly this is a temporary fix, but I am also going to buy some vise-grips and have him weld a peg onto them just in case I get stuck in Kaupo with a broken weld and a stripped gear shaft. Thanks in advance for any advice, and excuse my lack of experience in these forums. A hui hou!

Edited by Sly Mongoose

To be honest, I am not even a novice mechanic. I lack the tools and the experience to open the side cover or clutch basket; in fact, I am not even certain what that would entail.  Of course, I will google it, but the situation I am in says that I have a pro welder (an employee of my landlord) and a problem that looks like it could at least be contained for a relatively long time with a very simple solution. As I understand, I could give the bike to the Honda shop in Wailuku and give them ~$900 for parts and labor, or I could have a free weld done that would at least render the bike useable. The Honda shop offered me $500 to buy the bike back before the shifter was stripped, so the weld is really my sole option at the moment. If I had better tools, I would force myself to learn the proper way to do it, but for now, I would really just like to know how best to weld it.

I took a different approach to fixing a similar problem.

The outboard portion of the splined shifter shaft was sheared off my XR250R when I bought it.  Instead of welding the shifter to the shaft, I welded a split shaft coupling to the shifter then installed the coupling/shifter onto the shifter shaft using Loctite and clamping the coupling.  It has worked well.

Ian

First off, are you sure the shifter AND the shaft are stripped? Usually what happens is the teeth of the shifter sheer off and stick into the splines of the shaft, appearing like it smoothed off the shaft splines too. Try taking a wire brush or dental pick to it to see if it just needs cleaned. Then a new shifter would be all you need.

I'm not opposed to welding it, but I'd save it for an absolute last resort. The shifter is mild steel and very weldable, but the shaft is hardened and will lose its temper up to the edge of the heat without heat-treating it after. Might or might not be an issue on that application. I'd keep the weld on the outer rim to minimize the impact on the shaft.

What I'd try first: grind a flat spot on the top and bottom of the shaft, then make corresponding, oversized welds inside the shifter hole to file down to be a tight fit. Clamp it down with the pinch bolt and go. If it doesn't work, then weld the pig! :D

• Like 1

I would go the route that SEZ mentioned...only because I had the same thing happen to my kick starter.....and I almost went for a weld/or a new kick shaft.... when I last minutely noticed a metal shaving sticking out of one of the grooves of the shaft......I took an angle grinder with a wire brush attachment and cleaned all the groves out.....spent 60 bux on ebay for a new kicker...clamped it up...and waaa laaaaa..... i got lucky ....it's been fine for a few years now..... welding it which I really did not want to do.....because of temparary fix ........should be the LAST option.........RIDE ON!