American Made Dirtbike? Why not? They use our aftermarket parts?

I've wondered for a long time why someone doesn't start a company like Beta in the US? We make parts that Beta uses on their production bikes, why can't we have an American dirt bike? or... if Beta can't make enough bikes, why don't they build a factory over here?

Its not so much that our government in their way, its more like it won't prop them up. If you look at many of the new smaller manufactures you see popping up in Europe (especially in Trials) the government is what is funding them. If they had to live in the free market they wouldn't last or have ever been started. I don't believe they can last in the long term. America is doing the same, but its for the electric motorcycle industry since its "green" They have given huge amounts of money to the electric bikes then they turn around and are about the only customers for those bikes!!

Beta on the other hand is a very old company, they have been around for over 100 years, they have no debt, no share holders. Just a strong family owned company. They have seen the ups and downs in the world economy and are not going to go into large debt just to fill a need in the short term. Slow steady growth is what they have always strived for and that will keep them here for the long term.

• Like 1

There is one company that made some big bore dirtbikes and some supermoto bikes.. The president and a bunch of top executives all crashed and died in a plane. I forget the name now. It was black and yellow and had some early husky engineers/design if I remember right. There was some press that it was coming back and then I didn't hear anything.. It was based in the midwest somewhere if I remember right..Anyone remember? The bikes were cool.. especially for supermoto.. they weren't lightweight.. I think it was like 450 as the smallest then just got bigger and bigger.

There is one company that made some big bore dirtbikes and some supermoto bikes.. The president and a bunch of top executives all crashed and died in a plane. I forget the name now. It was black and yellow and had some early husky engineers/design if I remember right. There was some press that it was coming back and then I didn't hear anything.. It was based in the midwest somewhere if I remember right..Anyone remember? The bikes were cool.. especially for supermoto.. they weren't lightweight.. I think it was like 450 as the smallest then just got bigger and bigger.

Was it Highlander? For some reason I'm thinking that was the name.

• Like 2

Motors made in China. Don't mean to offend but the Christini is a big piece of junk. I have yet to see one finish a race. The last few enduro cross seasons they break and get pushed into the pits.

and gasgas motors, they get pretty good reviews here,  army uses them too

I remember something about that - seems like it was Hyland or something of that nature. For some reason I thought they were ex-Husaberg eng/designers

• Like 1

Wow, they still make em! www.rokon.com

Picture jumping out of a Ferrari and climbing onto a garden tractor. That's Beta compared to Rokon.

I have ridden them they are beyond terrible. Basically designed to paddle feet at 1 mph up vertical trails. They use them for garbage patrol and trail building around here.

If you want some laughs, click on "The Rokon Movie" on their website. Pathetic.

Edited by sandlvr69