1993 CRM250 RC VALVE FAULT

hi just bought a crm250 and the rc power valve is not working .Ive cleaned out the cables and the shaft and flap in the export all move freely .The servo isnt doing anything i opened it up hoping to find a rusty motor but its clean as inside .I put 12v into the motor and it turns L and R no problems .Ive now got to test the cdi i know what wires go to the servo but im unsure which wires to test to see if i get a varying voltage .if it does have a varing voltage ive read that it is ok .I just dont know what wires to test or what to have my multi meter set on .Can someone please help.

It's a common problem with the cdi boxes to burn out and the power valves stop working. There is a certain chip that burns out its more commonly known in nsr250 circles about this problem. It plagues any of the honda bikes that use this same setup nsr250 nsr150 nsr125 crm 250 and crm125. If you search for nsr250 pgm3 power valve burnt-out etc you'll find more detailed info. Pretty much the only way to fix it is to repair the circuit board and get the proper chip. Which my not work if the board was burned to bad or find a good used one pgm unit aka cdi.

Other common problem is that the electronic motor in the unit that pulls the cables could be bad.

This will help explain better what i'm talking about and a used unit could be a gamble eventually they will ALL suffer this fate just a matter of time when it does happen but you might wanna jump now because used PGM units for nsr 250's used to be cheap on yahoo japan and now a non broken one not so cheap anymore. Used to be a guy off the nsr forum out of Greece who'd do the repair on your pgm for you but you had to ship it to him he was asking for like $80 usd I think it was including shipping.

http://nsr250.freeforums.org/post438.html

Thank you for your help.What actually causes these units servo/cdi .Ive read about seized servo motors and i see how that would burn out the cdi .Is it also sticky cables and a sticky exhaust port flap .My bike had both sticky half seized cables and the flap in the exhaust port was real hard to move ive free these all up now .

i found alot of detailed pics of the ic chips and where on the board they are so ive given the cdi to a mate who repairs car ecus and other electrical componets .We will see how this goes if it works ill owe him a box of beers lol.I will report back in a week or so when he has finished with it with some results hopefully good .Thank you very much for your help.Ive got a few other questions about my other bikes but ill post them in the right places .

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got my pgm back and still nothing .Im to cheap to buy another pgm or send mine overseas sooooo im seting up a split throttle cable to run the rc valve .If i add a couple of adjusters in the line then i will be able to set it up good .And a spring wil allow it to return to closed position .In my head this will work perfectly for my style of riding .Any thoughts on this ? Has anyone done it befor ?

Well i got my pgm back and still nothing .Im to cheap to buy another pgm or send mine overseas sooooo im seting up a split throttle cable to run the rc valve .If i add a couple of adjusters in the line then i will be able to set it up good .And a spring wil allow it to return to closed position .In my head this will work perfectly for my style of riding .Any thoughts on this ? Has anyone done it befor ?

On the 05-07 CR250 it stays closed until 6K or so then opens, not sure how you can do that with a split cable

Edited by AXAxiom