Sign in to follow this  

Dual Use Boots

I've done a lot of searching around forums and google, but I can't find very good info on this specific problem/combination.

I'm relatively new to dirt biking, I've done a bit of trail riding with borrowed gear and bikes, and love it, but I moved across the country, away from those friends.

I've decided to get back into the sport, and focus on Trials for now, and I think I'll really enjoy it. But I do love trail riding and want to make sure that I can still do that if I get the chance (or can't find a good deal on a trials bike :p) I got some great buys on Black Friday, and I'm fully outfitted for both Trials and general trail riding/single track, and all for about $140.

Except boots.

Since good trials boots are around $400, and I haven't even tried Trials, I'm hesitant to make that purchase. Do any of you know of a boot that would be OK for trials, but offer enough protection for forest riding (I'm an explorer, not a racer) and still be somewhat inexpensive? I'd at least want something I can use off road if I don't end up really liking Trials.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by AeroSigma

Sidi Discovery with the steel toe caps removed.

If you get into Trials you may still want Trials boots as they are noticeably lighter. I prefer the Discoveries for trail riding because they protect my feet better than a Trials boot, but their heavier weight slows down making a quick dab in a Trials section. 

I like my AXO slammer constructor shorty boots with shin/knee guards. They are discontinued but there are some other shorty boots available all in the $115-$140 range.

if you are just TRAIL riding, use your simple trail/atv type, dual purpose off road boot.  Just motovita is saying, I just add...

Trials uses extreme balance, and control of foot brake, to me it is more like being able to play basketball in our trials boots, than say snow skiing...  So, our boots are very flexible, nowdays they have NO heal (soles resemble tennis shoes with hiking boot type of lug pattern grips, I am sure you have seen.)  Since 90% of most riders are competing in a sport that 90% of all the action is done at a walking pace, we don't need protective "casts" or immobilizing boots, to protect us from 30-80mph crashes into the brush and woods, again this helps tremendously with balance, and feel and movement when competing on trials bikes.

Some people I know whould warn ya, dont do dual sporting in trials boots, some have had serious unjury when foot snagged a root, rock etc at speeds, where a MX type boot would have deflected and being stiff saved multiple injuries, like ankle and or ripped skin, broken toes.  

at best, our trials boots are like nice gloves for our feet...  MX boots are hard and protect you like ski boots try to.  which usually means broken knees instead of ankles, lol.

I have Trials boots and several trail riding boots:

The best Trials boots are light and flexible, for me that is the Garne oil leather three buckle water proof boot. Light, comfortable, waterproof, flexible, and with a lug sole for walking. 

Over the years I have owned many different MX and trail riding boots.  To me foot protection is paramont but I also need to be able to operate the foot controls and walk, which seems to be at odds with low cost MX and trail boots.   For me the best trail boots have been SIDI Crossfires with optional lug soles. 

They have a hinge so are flexible enough to operate controls and walk. They are plastic so offer max foot protection.  And they fit and are comfortable, they match street shoe sizes and I wear street sox, a plus for foot "feel". 

Going to give my reconditioned Hi-Points a try:

IMG_20141229_135610998_zpslmbulnsc.jpg

Those look good, you might be able to sell those to the VMX crowd for enough to buy some Trials boots.

• Like 1

They are in great shape after working on them. I've had them for ~35 years. They aren't going anywhere :). Decided to use them on my 990 for more road riding so as not to abuse them much.