Thoughts and opinions on this bike?

Well dirtbikes aren't like Martin guitars when it comes to aging, lol. A 20 yr old bike doesnt sound or play better than a brand new one!

But some KTM folks should be able to tell you more, they will be here after tea time.If you can still get parts for it is the maker or breaker. Because it certainly looks cherry and a great deal.I mean, that thing is nice.

• Like 1

I wouldn't buy it, sourcing parts will be the main issue. Lots of 2000+yr bikes that are still mainstream that are way better in all aspects performance wise and still easy to get parts for...

So shops that do sell KTM parts may not readily have 1994 parts?  That would be my main issue?  From what I see on Craigslist, I see a lot of beat up $1500.00, 2 strokes...but you're saying a more current year (2000'+) would be preferable, because parts will be easier to come by?  Yeah?  Thanks for the feedback.

Ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=1994+KTM+parts&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1994+KTM+300MXC+parts&_nkw=1994+KTM+300MXC+parts&_sacat=0 seems to have a nice list of parts for this year and make and I know the guy selling it just replaced a bunch of parts and there are lots of shops in and around my area that apparently this guy didn't have a hard time acquiring parts-for, so I'm not sure "sourcing parts" is going to an issue?

Well dirtbikes aren't like Martin guitars when it comes to aging, lol. A 20 yr old bike doesnt sound or play better than a brand new one!

But some KTM folks should be able to tell you more, they will be here after tea time.If you can still get parts for it is the maker or breaker. Because it certainly looks cherry and a great deal.I mean, that thing is nice.

Yeah, and I'm literally trading to do some electrical installations at my buddies house for this purchase.  I'm not actually paying any $$, just my skills as an electrician.   🙂  Been looking at used bikes for months and haven't seen anything that looks this good and hey, it's a KTM and I won't be out moto-crossing!

Edited by MartinGuitar

So shops that do sell KTM parts may not readily have 1994 parts? That would be my main issue? From what I see on Craigslist, I see a lot of beat up $1500.00, 2 strokes...but you're saying a more current year (2000'+) would be preferable, because parts will be easier to come by? Yeah? Thanks for the feedback.

Walk into a KTM dealer and ask for a shift shaft or gearset for a 1994 KTM. Their answer will determine if it's worth it. Sure, you could source EBAY but you won't always find what you want or need. Add in the fact anything more current will be more refined and probably better performing. Especially suspension and handling wise. Ask yourself how many sub 2000yr model KTMs you see around vs other brands? I can't even think of one person I know that has a 2000 or older KTM...

I see 2000 YZ 250s all day for under $1500.

• Like 1

So shops that do sell KTM parts may not readily have 1994 parts?  That would be my main issue?  From what I see on Craigslist, I see a lot of beat up $1500.00, 2 strokes...but you're saying a more current year (2000'+) would be preferable, because parts will be easier to come by?  Yeah?  Thanks for the feedback.

You could get a 2006+ YZ250 for another grand and have 100x the bike of that 94 KTM.  You will be hard pressed to find any brand new spare parts for any ktm prior to 98 or so.

You could get a 2006+ YZ250 for another grand and have 100x the bike of that 94 KTM.  You will be hard pressed to find any brand new spare parts for any ktm prior to 98 or so.

Don't have another grand to throw at a project like this...I may not even be out in the dirt as much as you guys are...and dude, I just query'd EBay and found a shit-ton of parts for the 1994 KTM 300MXC and the dude that's selling this, just installed a whole bunch of newer parts...so I really don't think finding parts is as big an issue as 2 of you have said...but I respect the feedback...I haven't committed to it yet either!  🙂

Any thoughts on this bike, instead of the 1994 KTM 300MXC? http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/4776335000.html

Whats an engine reseal? Is that like a rebuild, or is it someone that is talking out of their ass, trying to feel better about selling a timebomb? Stay away. Just looked at the pics of the 300, hell of a clean bike. If it is a "screw around" bike and can do a work exchange for the bike, I say why not. The worst thing is that you will ride it for a couple of years, change out random things (brakes/chains & sprockets/ possibly a piston) and it should be fine. Things like that can be sourced pretty easily, so I wouldn't be scared. Plus, according to you kalifornians, isn't that a green sticker bike? That should be a good thing, being able to ride it all year? Edited by orangyktmthing

Whats an engine reseal? Is that like a rebuild, or is it someone that is talking out of their ass, trying to feel better about selling a timebomb? Stay away. Just looked at the pics of the 300, hell of a clean bike. If it is a "screw around" bike and can do a work exchange for the bike, I say why not. The worst thing is that you will ride it for a couple of years, change out random things (brakes/chains & sprockets/ possibly a piston) and it should be fine. Things like that can be sourced pretty easily, so I wouldn't be scared. Plus, according to you kalifornians, isn't that a green sticker bike? That should be a good thing, being able to ride it all year?

Yeah that's right orangy...I'm not interested in that crf450..."engine reseal"?  I didn't see anything that said anything about a reseal in that guy's ad.  Anyway, yeah, the KTM is looking like a winner for me frankly.  Yes, it's green stickered and I would be able to ride all year long and HEY, with NO rain ever, I really CAN ride all year long!  Actually we're gettin 2 weeks of full rain right now, which is great...I'm also near Lake Tahoe, so we get some Nor Cal. weather right now...my mom lives nearby too, she has 45 acres for me to putt around on  😛  Thanks for the feedback.

I have held onto a 98 RM 125 we've had since new. It only gets ridden a couple times a year being used for trail work. I built a saw mount for it, so its job is now 'saw bike.' The foam in the seat recently disintegrated and I looked all around, got one from Factory Effex, the LAST one they had. You may find a bike as old as a 94 to be a pita to find parts for. Really.

• Like 1