Sooo...California girl transplant stuck in Colorado - buying a dirtbike and trying to decide which one...any opinions?

I used to ride YZ 250's back in CA (granted, this was in the sands of Pismo and/or dirt roads - no trail riding.)  Now, I'm transplanted in CO and since I can't afford a horse, I've decided to get a bike.  The catch is: I can ride a 250, I can handle the power, shifting etc. BUT the damn thing is too tall for me (I'm 5'5", 125).  I've recently ridden a Honda CR250 but unless I've got a curb, rock or stump to stop to, then I'm forced to throttle down, swing my leg around and either ditch it or try to stall and stop.  Either way is lame, in my book.  So, I want a YZ 250 but is there a way to lower it, without making it impossible to sell again OR is there a smaller bike that has comparable power that won't put me in the position to have to smack someone's smart mouth when they giggle?  Thanks for any thoughts....

Nice.  Thanks.  Haven't read it all yet (I'm at work), but doing some reading on the KTM 250xcf w - looks like it might be just what I want.  Any thoughts on what kind of specs I should be looking for in a used one?  How old is "old", how many miles, does the age of the current owner matter as far as treatment of the bike goes?...

Nice.  Thanks.  Haven't read it all yet (I'm at work), but doing some reading on the KTM 250xcf w - looks like it might be just what I want.  Any thoughts on what kind of specs I should be looking for in a used one?  How old is "old", how many miles, does the age of the current owner matter as far as treatment of the bike goes?...

How about a Kawasaki 200 or 220 kdx They are great bikes and a lot like the Hondas of old

"indestructible" I was just in Colorado last week and my Granddaughter has one it's a great

little bike and it can go just about anywhere you point it.

• Like 1

Huskydog14, don't take offence to this but I've never really been a huge Kawasaki fan.  My dad owned/raced Yamaha's, Ducati's, BSA's etc and although I did hear him mention Kawa's a few times here and there, it was never much...are they good dirtbikes?

No offense taken Not a real fan of them either but have known people that owned them and really liked them

I'm obviously a fan of Husky's I have two of them and two Honda's as well My newest Husky is a TE 300 2014

It's an awesome bike but talk about a high horse,I'm actually getting the suspension lowered so that I can touch the ground when

sitting on it. I've raced Yammies as well and they are great bikes I'm getting back to my roots 2 strokes can't beat em"

No offense taken Not a real fan of them either but have known people that owned them and really liked them

I'm obviously a fan of Husky's I have two of them and two Honda's as well My newest Husky is a TE 300 2014

It's an awesome bike but talk about a high horse,I'm actually getting the suspension lowered so that I can touch the ground when

sitting on it. I've raced Yammies as well and they are great bikes I'm getting back to my roots 2 strokes can't beat em"

Yeah, I've never been able to appreciate 4-strokes...not sure why - guess it's the whine of the 2-stroke that gets my blood pumpin'.  🙂

What's your budget? What is your mechanical ability? Will you be doing your own maint or will you take it to a shop?

Well, I was hoping to start off with something I could beat on and get myself together with - I don't know, maybe $2000?  Mechanical ability is easy, I've been wrenching since my dad could get me to sand the firewalls of his classic 60's Jags.  I'll be doing it all myself, so I won't be wasting cash on a shop that might underestimate me and charge me to put it on a stand and spin the tires...  

• Like 1

Over the past 20 years or so MX bikes have become clones, so to speak.  The differences between brands are so minor a weekend warrior princess can’t tell the difference between the peas under the seat.  The YZ250 sounds like a really good idea.

Well, that's what I figured - my buddies are all telling me that I'm overthinking the whole thing and that I just need to get another yz, shave the seat, maybe alter the sub-frame (maaaay-beeee) and pad up real well.  Wish I had the time to get back into it like I used to, but a full-time job kinda makes that difficult...thanks anyway for the input....

Buy yourself a lowering link, shave the seat down, move the forks up in the triple clamps and your set.

Sounds like the best bet - I've heard though, and I can't remember the damn details, but moving the forks up can screw something up pretty major - do you happen to know?