xl 600 cam and rockers

I am thinking of sending these to mega cycle to get refaced  . The cam is in spec just barely . The total cost would be around 700. I drive no more than 1000 kms a year. Do you think it is worth it or should i just put these in the way they are and drive it. My plan is to keep the bike till i cannot ride it anymore. 

IMG_20141201_202442.jpg

IMG_20141201_202455.jpg

samsung 013.JPG

I am thinking of sending these to mega cycle to get refaced  . The cam is in spec just barely . The total cost would be around 700. I drive no more than 1000 kms a year. Do you think it is worth it or should i just put these in the way they are and drive it. My plan is to keep the bike till i cannot ride it anymore.

Don't see any reason to regrind those at all. A couple of them have lines across the face, if you can't feel that line with a fingernail I would just put it back together and ride.

A failed cam can be really expensive and you already have it down to parts. Is $700 (Canadian?) worth it? Your call, but going into it a second time can be a real PITA, not to mention if it leaves you stranded somewhere.

They don't look too bad, but what looks like rust on the lobe is a concern. The cam in my XR650L was pitted (actual pits, not from wear, just bad metallurgy) at ~15,000 miles. It didn't show any galling so I put it back in minus the auto decomp and it stayed there with no problems for another 30,000+ miles. When I pulled it down, only the rockers showed minimal wear, the cam looked the same.

The hardened surface is not very thick and once that is gone, it's rapid destruction from there.

If you plan to hang onto the bike and you can afford the hardfacing job without selling your body, or parts of it, then it may be worth it. The cams on those bikes are not available new and you don't want to start using non Honda parts as most of them are not of the same quality. The regrind/hardfacing seems to be the best alternative.

The two times I have seen my cam over the many years and many thousands of miles it has looked almost identical.  Run it again i say.

I recently replaced my  original stock cam with a mild grind Mega cycle that I had acquired.  If I decide to pull the engine for any reason this winter, like for a decomp lever seal leak, I will likely take it back out and reinstall the original.

The two times I have seen my cam over the many years and many thousands of miles it has looked almost identical.  Run it again i say.

I recently replaced my  original stock cam with a mild grind Mega cycle that I had acquired.  If I decide to pull the engine for any reason this winter, like for a decomp lever seal leak, I will likely take it back out and reinstall the original.

Curious on why back to original cam?

I lost a little of the bottom end punch and that is something I like about the big single.  I had to jet it a little leaner as a result of the cam, but it gets worse fuel mileage.  I can't say that I really gained enough if any on the mid or top end, so I would prefer to have the bottom end and fuel mileage back.