New Owner of 03 WR 250F, Few Questions.

Just picked up an 03 Wr titled for 2 grand. Bought from original owner who rode a little when he got it then stopped riding for the most part. Guy used to be a mech and had a bunch of other bikes as well. Original tires, brakes and few other things i believe. Has FMF powercore 4, twinair filter, acerbis handguards, tusk signal kit, trailtech endurance and he through in the stock pipe and factory service manual.

Runs decent but i think it needs rejetted doesnt start good as it should and idles pretty high with choke on not sure if its normal on these. it kinda misses a little when you get into it, the gas is pretty old he said and he never rejetted so i think thats part of it. Runs really quiet and smooth though. Im gonna do the free mods when i get time i guess the airbox cover mod and mesh if it still has it, the throttle slide screw mod and cut the gray wire on it from what ive been reading and see what difference that all makes at least its got a good pipe on it though.

Besides those free mods, getting a battery and jetkit for it thats all i have planned anytime soon besides that i might want to get a header, powerbomb probably and maybe other stuff depending if im happy with its power and whatnot. Any input or suggestions are welcome this is my first dirtbike in about 6 years last was a 430 husky. Never owned a 4 stroke dirtbike either not sure on the decomp lever i assume its just for when hot starting? thanks, pretty excited. P.S. Ballpark jetting would be nice if anyone knows my elevation is like 300-500 thanks.

20141201_194411.jpg

20141201_191439.jpg

20141201_191424.jpg

20141201_191417.jpg

Edited by Cburb88

Nice bike at a good price. I just picked up same bike for $1380 in October. My bike was stock except for a couple of free mods (gray wire/throttle screw). It started and ran mint, but I decided to play around anyhow...removed snorkel and decided it needed to be jetted. Low and behold found a "parts bike" 03 WR 250F on CL for $500. I've begun to pirate that bike and so far have removed and reinstalled fmf power core pipe, vortex ignition, and jd jet kit. This bike is now an absolute beast!!! And though I'm still fine-tuning carb, I strongly recommend the JD kit. Although it seems a bit overpriced, it's probably going to solve your issues. My parts bike had the needle and main installed, but the kit also came with a leak jet and fuel screw (brand new in original package). When you install the kit, you can clean the carb and dump the old gas from tank. Use fresh 93 octane (I like Mobil). I suggest you start here...

Folks at JD offered me great customer service as they responded to my email (original owner had lost kit directions) same day!

I've put over 100 miles on my bike in just over a month...IMO these bikes are an awesome value and a heck of a good time!!!

Nice I'm gonna remove snorkel and cut holes on the right side of box using a template I found in the free mod section. Then look at throttle stop screw and cut gray wire and try to rejet I just got the dyno jet kit when I first picked the bike up so hopefully it's decent enough to get it tuned in right.

Guarntee you'll think it's a whole new bike. Does dyno kit have the fuel screw included? If not you'll definitely want to pick one up. Just makes the tuning process so much easier!

Having the title and street kit on your bike really would increase the value up here in ma. Guys are willing to do cartwheels and backflips for those bikes!

Im not sure if its done or not but im gonna be prepared to shorten it if its not done already. Hopefully the dynojet kit is decent im not sure if it has the fuel screw or not, you talking about the one that can be adjusted by hand?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update for heck of it, i did a few things, checked wiring and saw that gray wire was already cut, then looked at slide screw and it wasnt cut yet so i did that and now slide fully opens. then i modded airbox and cut screen which is just temporary i orded the no toil kit. i took carb apart to rejet and it had a 190 in it...way to big specially since the box wasnt modded yet. The needle clip was in 5th spot also so i installed a dj160 which is about a 178 keihin and used the DJ needle 4th clip and put together and its way stronger blips front wheel off the ground easily in first few gears. doesnt want to idle and sounds lean in the low speed circuit though and fuel screw doesnt do much so im sure i need to bump pilot i didnt have any but they are on order. i think i might have got the throttle cable off a little also but either way right now if u let off throttle it shuts off. Not sure if its something besides the pilot jet or not, possibly the accelerator pump could be off not sure.

I'd try the needle first. Also may want to consider a larger main. Did your kit come with several main options? I'm running the JD 185 main and am still lean (idles fine but 1/4 throttle could be cleaner and pops on deceleration). Just take your time and don't get frustrated with adjustment process. I'm close but temps have been pretty cold. Took mine to track yesterday for first time ever. My bike performed amazingly well considering I was the only guy there w a taillight!

Your accelerator pump should be fine if you didn't mess with it. Which mod did you perform to airbox? Exhaust in future?