Tusk Oversized Front Brake

For anyone who has put this kit on their YZ250; what RMATV part number did you use? I've had thus set up on the front of my WR450 for most of this year and went to transfer it over to the YZ last night, but the bolt pattern (o/c spacing) is smaller on the YZ forks (78mm vs. 103mm for the WR) and the bracket doesn't work.

R-M's website says they both use the same part number - 1372220006.

I'm gonna call them later, but wanted to check here and see if any of you have used this brake kit and what part number you got.

Btw, it's a great kit that's half the cost of almost all the others that worked extremely well on the heavy WR450.

It depends on the year of each bike.  If the WR is say a 2006 and the YZ a 2009 then they take different kits.  They switched over different years for each the WR, YZ, and YZ-F.  The YZ-F went to the smaller caliper in 2007, while the YZ went to it in 2008.  I'm not sure when the WRs switched over.  Galfer has a lower price 270mm kit now too, about $130. 

Dang that is one sweet deal.  I have the tusk oversize on my KX450 and while its decent, not overly impressed with it compared to stock, although it would likely be better on the lighter YZ250.  Looked at Monks review of the Galfer system and figured it was the more pricey unit.  Thinking about the cheaper galfer unit with a set of the sintered pads but have heard others say that unit is the same at the tusk unit.  I like the stock feel on the YZ and to me it feels pretty progressive.  Would like the same feel and progressive operation with just more stopping power.  

It depends on the year of each bike. If the WR is say a 2006 and the YZ a 2009 then they take different kits. They switched over different years for each the WR, YZ, and YZ-F. The YZ-F went to the smaller caliper in 2007, while the YZ went to it in 2008. I'm not sure when the WRs switched over. Galfer has a lower price 270mm kit now too, about $130.

Both my bikes are 2011s. I have '06 YZ450F SSS forks on the front of the WR, but the stock WR forks are the same bolt pattern for the caliper bracket anyway. But the point is, the R-M site lists these as the same part number, but they're not. No big deal...I'll call them now.

The stock brake on the YZ250 isn't bad, mainly because the bike is so light, but I want more! The stock brake on the WR, essentially the same one as the YZ, is just horrid and barely does the job. The Tusk unit is excellent in my opinion.

Anyway, I'll post the correct part number on here when I get it.

Monk - do you know the specifics of the unit (including the pads) that you evaluated. As I recall, the write-up did not have the specific model or part numbers. Didn't know if you were blinded to that info.

Galfer sent me the products directly. These are the 3 main components and are pretty easy to find on their website. They didn't not supply me with any part numbers.

-Oversize Off Road Wave 270mm Rotor Kit

-Off Road Series Brake Lines

-HH Sintered Advanced Ceramic Brake Pads

I'm running the Tusk oversized front rotor on my 11 YZ250. The braking is much better.

Can you tell me what part number they sent you?

The guy at R-M swears that the same kit fits both the 2011 WR450F and 2011 YZ250, but unfortunately, he doesn't have both bikes sitting in front of him. I do, and they are different. He even asked for the VIN off the YZ to make sure it's an '11...they have a wrong part number in there somewhere.

This isn't a major deal anyway, just annoying that I can't use the kit I already have on the YZ250 forks.

Can you tell me what part number they sent you?

The guy at R-M swears that the same kit fits both the 2011 WR450F and 2011 YZ250, but unfortunately, he doesn't have both bikes sitting in front of him. I do, and they are different. He even asked for the VIN off the YZ to make sure it's an '11...they have a wrong part number in there somewhere.

This isn't a major deal anyway, just annoying that I can't use the kit I already have on the YZ250 forks.

http://www.gnarlyparts.ca/Tusk-Oversized-Floating-Front-Typhoon-Brake-Rotor-Kit_p_123.html

Part Number 1372220006

That's where I ordered mine from. And they get it from RMATV.

Thanks for the help. Looks like the R-M site has the wrong number listed for the later WRs. I looked back at my order from last Dec, and in fact, it was the 003 part they sent me at the time that fits. I'm going to order the new brakes, a braided front line, and some sintered pads.

Lower grade materials or not, this Tusk kit works very, very well. I'd like to compare it sometime with one of the high dollar Braking or Galfer kits to see if there's any appreciable difference in performance. Or at least a $150-200 difference.

I got the Tusk oversize kit on my 05 YZ125 with 07 SSS forks. I can look up the part number if you think it will help, but mine is a 125...

The Tusk kit is awesome, really helped with the braking feel, modulation and power. I recently ordered a Braking oversize kit for my 03 KX 125. Looking at them I didn't really see any  differences in quality. If Tusk would have had an oversize fit for the KX, I would have bought one.

• Like 1

Well I went ahead and ordered the EBC kit instead. This after my rantings of loyalty and allegiance to the Tusk kit. Thought about it a bit today and decided to try something different for the heck of it, plus I was not impressed with the R-M tech's part knowledge or assistance, so no cookie for the house brand today. And the EBC uses a 280mm rotor, so I can really master those stoppies. That and a stainless brake line and I should be good to go for the weekend.

I wonder who makes the Tusk brake kit? I know MXA gives it good reviews. Their braided lines are galfer if I remember, I would have to look at mine and see but it says whoever right on it.

Keep in mind that MXA writes about its performance with less then 20hrs on the ticket. Haven't seen many reviews of theirs with products after 30/40/50hrs on the meter...

Well I went ahead and ordered the EBC kit instead. This after my rantings of loyalty and allegiance to the Tusk kit. Thought about it a bit today and decided to try something different for the heck of it, plus I was not impressed with the R-M tech's part knowledge or assistance, so no cookie for the house brand today. And the EBC uses a 280mm rotor, so I can really master those stoppies. That and a stainless brake line and I should be good to go for the weekend.

Last time I asked rocky mountain a tech question they kept trying to tell me 09+ yzf"s used a different diameter front axle  than the two stroke. After trying to tell him that is not true I just hit close on the live chat. :banghead:

Last time I asked rocky mountain a tech question they kept trying to tell me 09+ yzf"s used a different diameter front axle than the two stroke. After trying to tell him that is not true I just hit close on the live chat. :banghead:

Lol, different length on older models but same diameter...

Edited by Monk

Last time I asked rocky mountain a tech question they kept trying to tell me 09+ yzf"s used a different diameter front axle than the two stroke. After trying to tell him that is not true I just hit close on the live chat. :banghead:

Yeah this guy was sticking to his guns on the live chat, too. Kind of frustrating. Same guy? He even told me that they had recently "corrected" the part numbers for the '08+ WR450Fs - I told him they actually made it incorrect and it should be the 003 part number, he's probably confusing it with the YZ450, and the only thing Yamaha changed from '07-'11 on the WRs was the graphics. He then told me again that both bikes use the same part numbers. Alright, dude. I know that's what your book says, but...