200xc-w vs. 250xc-w vs. 300xc-w

Hi all looking for a little insight.  I am in the early stages of reviewing my next bike purchase.  My last bike was a WR250F with some slight mods.  It was a great bike, fun, nimble, but lacking some power.  I have considered another 4 stroke, but for a few reasons 2 stroke is probably going to be the way I go.  I am sure the 200 is a nimble fun bike, but I am concerned that it may still be a little short on power, as I currently weigh 220.  Because of power concerns I am looking a the 250 and 300 too.  From various reviews it seems the 250 hit harder than the more tractor like 300, beyond that the bikes are identical.  I  have never had a chance to ride one as almost everyone I ride with have 450's.  I am just looking for some insight and advice from those of you whom own, and ride them.  Thanks! 

Here's a good review comparing all three.  Stating the obvious, they are all great bikes.  My 200 has no issues hanging with the bigger brothers, and shines in the tighter stuff....you would notice a huge weight difference from the WR.  The 200 just needs you to be a little more active on the clutch/throttle....

• Like 1

I would eliminate the 250 unless you are looking to race a class that limits you to 250cc. The 300 is the identical machine except with more bottom end. That's it. Dont let anyone tell you that the 300 "feels" heavier or anything else. Theyre identical machines. Ive ridden them back to back and the only difference was more luggability in 2nd in really tight stuff, and less reving required. Wideopen they feel identical. Additional bottom end torque can only be a good thing, and when there are no drawbacks, its a nobrainer.

Edited by motonack

I would eliminate the 250 unless you are looking to race a class that limits you to 250cc. The 300 is the identical machine except with more bottom end. That's it. Dont let anyone tell you that the 300 "feels" heavier or anything else. Theyre identical machines. Ive ridden them back to back and the only difference was more luggability in 2nd in really tight stuff, and less reving required. Wideopen they feel identical. Additional bottom end torque can only be a good thing, and when there are no drawbacks, its a nobrainer.

The draw back is that the extra torque wears on you throughout the day and it's ability to bite you when you're tired or least expect it. I've ridden and raced 300's, they're great bikes but to say it only has better attributes to a 250 and 0 draw backs is just plain false. 

• Like 5

My 2 cents.

A 200 would have no problem hauling around a 220 pound rider, because I know of a 220 pound rider that has one and he flies on it!

So here's my recommendation:

200: If you want a lighter bike that likes to rev and have it's clutch abused.  Not that you have to ride it that way, but that's how my friend rides his.

250:  If you really liked your 250f but just want a lighter bike.

300:  If you want to sit back some, shift less and get more out of each gear.

I can lug the hell out of my 200, but I havent ridden a 300 to compare it to.

It does take some timing and clutchwork to get the front wheel up at low speeds, but its rarely an issue. But I think thats because I run 14/45 rather than 14/48 which is stock in the USA I think.

Around open MX style tracks and open whooped country, the 200 likes being ridden like a 125.

In more wooded areas where technique seems to trump power, I ride it by clicking up unti just before it doesnt wanna be responsive anymore, and use plenty of clutch if it needs it.

I'm not a good rider though.

Edited by BushPig

I just recently sold my old 200.  I really liked it because it could easily lug my 200lb booty up hills slowly if I wanted, but twist the throttle and it took off like a rocket.  It was a lot faster than my RMZ250, so it would smoke your WR.  I recently rode a 300 and it had even more bottom end than my 200.  I probably only used 25% of the bikes power.  I never once opened her up and got on the pipe.  So for that I didn't like it.  I want a bike I feel I can let it rip and have fun, not be too scared to open it up.  Heck even on my 200 by the time 3rd gear got going I was flying (on tight trails) and it was time to start hitting the brakes.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  In addition to all your input/research, and my own research I have bought a 200.  I will not pick it up till the end of Jan or Feb, and since we have snow on the ground in MI I will not be playing with it till spring :(   Thanks again!

• Like 1

Congrats.  I sure don't regret going for a 200.  I'm sure you'll be wearing a grin on your first ride....As far as the snow on the ground thing, I recently studded up and am loving the option to get out on the ice and packed trails...

Edited by D Rock

Congrats on the new bike KHB, I rode a 300 for many years, loved the low end torque of it and the way it went from mild to wild with a twitch of the wrist. That being said, I sold it and bought a 200 and love it even more then the 300.

I'm a petite 230 pounds without gear, the 200 lugs my small frame all over hell and creation, the bike has more ability then I will ever have and most people won't be able to utilize the 200 to it's full potential anyways. The 200 won't beat you up like the 300 does, the 200 turns better, quicker and more sure-footed then the 300 does, at least this has been my experience with the two bikes.

Either way you went you weren't going to get hurt as both bikes are great.

Thanks everyone!  In addition to all your input/research, and my own research I have bought a 200.  I will not pick it up till the end of Jan or Feb, and since we have snow on the ground in MI I will not be playing with it till spring :(   Thanks again!

Hey, where in Michigan are you??  If by chance your in the Grand Rapids area PM me and let's set up a ride!  Heck, I'll even let you take a spin on my 300.

I'd be curious to try the 200.  I've had a 300, and now a 250 xc-w.  I recently rode a newer 300 xcw.  It did have more pop off the bottom than my 250, didn't seem like as much of a revver, and actually felt a bit slower, though it wasn't.  I like my 250 xc-w with the SX head, has plenty of torque and a nice snappy feel, the perfect bike for a hyperactive 45 year old.. 

I would eliminate the 250 unless you are looking to race a class that limits you to 250cc. The 300 is the identical machine except with more bottom end. That's it. 

300 also vibrates more, is finickier about jetting, and has more problems with overheating. It's still a good choice for many people tho.

I put 15k hard offroad miles on a 300, and I'm up to around 14k hard offroad miles on a 200. My favorite is the 250 for my weight (170 lbs w/o gear), terrain (extreme technical mountain singletrack and sandy rocky desert trails) and riding style (smooth, low rpm most of the time). If I rode more at low altitude, I'd probably like the 200 even more, but it can be a handful carrying a chainsaw riding steep technical sections at 8000' and up.

300 also vibrates more, is finickier about jetting, and has more problems with overheating. It's still a good choice for many people tho.

I put 15k hard offroad miles on a 300, and I'm up to around 14k hard offroad miles on a 200. My favorite is the 250 for my weight (170 lbs w/o gear), terrain (extreme technical mountain singletrack and sandy rocky desert trails) and riding style (smooth, low rpm most of the time). If I rode more at low altitude, I'd probably like the 200 even more, but it can be a handful carrying a chainsaw riding steep technical sections at 8000' and up.

I had forgotten about vibration, totally valid. I use Flexx bars so the vibes are barely there. My friends 250XC felt like a jackhammer compared to my 300 with his standard bars. Almost instant arm pump. Havent had any jetting or overheating problems. Not a puff of coolant has come out since I bought the bike. My 350 was a terrible overheater in the same conditions.