Asking too much of my son?

My son (13 1/2, 5'10, 160lbs) has been trail riding since he was 6. Doesn't race, yet. Started on Honda 50, then XR80R, now TTR 125. Had a 6" growth spurt. TTR now looks small on him. Here's my question, I found a 2003 KX 250 for a great deal. Clean, well maintained bike. Is it gonna be too much for him? Skill wise he is pretty good on the TTR. Jumps, wheelies, control. I know the bikes are gonna be night and day different. I don't want to put him in a position to be seriously hurt before he learns the differences. He has ridden a friends KX85. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I ride a Goldwing but haven't been interested in off road. He loves it and I want him to continue to grow but again don't want to set him up for failure (injury).

My son made close to the same jump from a crf150f to a cr250 he could ride it but was intimidated to the point of not wanting to ride. We have since made the switch to a cr85 worked over with every thing that can be done to one.

In the last month we got him a crf150rb and he couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the replies y'all. Boxcar, I've already purchased the 250. About half the cost of the one you showed me. I'm gonna let him try it (after Christmas). I just never ride dirt bikes and was surprised at how quick it was when I test rode it. If it turns out he doesn't like it or won't ride it, I may either sell it and buy a 125 or find someone looking to trade up. Repellent, what's a fww? If he can take his time and get used to it, I think it should last him a long time until he needs more power/speed.

I belong to a forum with my Goldwing. After today, I'm finding out, it doesn't matter WHAT kind of bike you ride, there are genuinely nice people out there willing to help. Thank all of you so much. Your replies have helped calm my nerves. He's getting the bike for Christmas. The first thing I'm gonna do after that is get him on this forum.

• Like 1

The first thing I'm gonna do after that is get him on this forum.

Kids need to have a bit of a thick skin on these forums. When they ask "should my gear match my bike", "will Metal Mulisha graphics look cool", or "What powerband works best"', they will catch some abuse. They can also get a lot of help and learn a lot if they want to.

CoKTM

• Like 3

Respectfully, I have two words for you: IN SANE. Way, WAY too much bike for a little kid. Do you let him juggle running chainsaws too? A KX250 from a TT-R125 is a titanic jump even for an adult.

My dad put me on a 1980 Honda CR250 when I was 11. Granted, I had been riding a race ported YZ90 before that. It was still WAY too much bike. Too tall, too fast. Dad wasn't a dirtbiker either and didn't understand that he subjecting a very young and inexperienced boy to a full blown, full sized MX racing bike. Luckily I didn't die but it sure cooled my love of dirtbiking for a while. I was stuck on that thing for over a year and I wasn't ever comfortable on it.

I think you're making a mistake.

• Like 3

I think if the his son is tall enough and strong enough it will be fine. I Love my kx 250 and I'm 15 weigh about 145 and around 5 foot 7. Just watch that throttle ?. Unless he's extremely throttle happy I think he would fair better than me with his extra height and weight. Not saying I'm an excellent rider by any means. I can generally manage an Oregon black diamond but it might have a stall or two in the middle somewhere ?. I have a gnarly and a fly wheel weight on mine

Edited by Northstarrocks
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies y'all. Boxcar, I've already purchased the 250. About half the cost of the one you showed me. I'm gonna let him try it (after Christmas). I just never ride dirt bikes and was surprised at how quick it was when I test rode it. If it turns out he doesn't like it or won't ride it, I may either sell it and buy a 125 or find someone looking to trade up. Repellent, what's a fww? If he can take his time and get used to it, I think it should last him a long time until he needs more power/speed.

125 2 strokes have a wicked power band hit that might surprise you even when compared to a 250. Although it is a somewhat lighter bike.

125 2 strokes have a wicked power band hit that might surprise you even when compared to a 250. Although it is a somewhat lighter bike.

I dont know about that. 250s pull much harder than a 125 and usually are easier to coax into the band.  125 has to be in the right gear all the time to pull at all.  I would not consider a 125 to hit harder than a 250.  Its an opinion of course but imo a 125 powerband is underwhelming really.  Fun bikes to ride,  a lot of noise and a whole lot of not going any where.  A 250 is hit the gas and wheelie, no comparison.

• Like 2

I probably would have recommended a WR250F or CRF250X or KTM 250 XCF-W as a good move up bike from a ttr125, but by the time I first read the thread you had pulled the trigger on the KX250.  He might do just fine depending on his personality athletic skill, etc.  

But keep a close eye on how he adapts.  Since it sounds like you got it for a good price, you can always sell the KX250 and go another route if it proves too much for him.

I am not objective on this topic because I moved my 3rd kid from a XR80R (CRF80F) to a YZ85 because I thought he was an aggressive rider and the best of my 3 kids.  But the YZ scared him, he had a couple good crashes and just refuses to ride now even though is brother and sister still do.  There may be a lot of other factors that go into his decision not to ride, but if I could have a re-do, I would probably approach it differently (probably true about everything in life, right?)

• Like 2

To the OP, I may have been a little harsh in my post. Your son's size is fine for a big bike. His skill and maturity/coordination may not be there yet though. Keep a good eye on his disposition while riding and pull him off it soon if he's not all smiles.

Worst case scenario, it would be a fantastic bike for you to get into the sport with. There are very few father son activities as good as dirtbiking together.

• Like 1