Trailtech vapor install should I buy the dash or can I seperate the idiot lights form the factory speedo

I want to fit a trailtech vapor to my DRZ but can't decide whether to get the trailtech dash with the lights or to get the billet aluminium mount and seperate the idiot lights and remount them. Is this possible. How do you seperate the idiot lights? Any views. It is an Australain DRZ so wiring may be different. How hard is it to wire up the idot lights on the trailtech dash. I was reading that diodes may be required. Advice would be very much appreciated. Cheers.

You can separate the indicator lights from the stock speedo, they attach with 2 screws located on the bottom of the speedo.

A&L Motorsports made a mount that fit the Vapor, ignition switch, and indicator lights, but sadly they no longer produce them. So for mounting you are stuck with a custom job, or you can have a mount 3D printed (there are a few threads floating around that have the source file for a 3D printed mount).

Edit: I only found one for fat bars https://thumpertalk.com/topic/1019086-uploaded-a-couple-of-my-drz-designs-to-thingaverse-3d-printing/?hl=%2B3d+%2Bprinted+%2Bmount#entry10806187

Edited by Wisconsinite762

I want to fit a trailtech vapor to my DRZ but can't decide whether to get the trailtech dash with the lights or to get the billet aluminium mount and seperate the idiot lights and remount them. Is this possible. How do you seperate the idiot lights? Any views. It is an Australain DRZ so wiring may be different. How hard is it to wire up the idot lights on the trailtech dash. I was reading that diodes may be required. Advice would be very much appreciated. Cheers.

I got the Vapor with the idiot lights ( 4 of them) and will now have to make a bracket, but total cost was $130 on Ebay........having a partial combo of OEM, and a very cool looking Vapor somehow didn't look good to me.

I bought the idiot lights, it mounted nicely in its little vapor ring to my custom clamps.

Please search for how vagrantidol did his trailtech with stock indicators. Hes a machinist and made one hell of a cool impromptu dash for his mean machine.

Edited by BLKRAWB
  • Like 1

I bought the idiot lights, it mounted nicely in its little vapor ring to my custom clamps.

Please search for how vagrantidol did his trailtech with stock indicators. Hes a machinist and made one hell of a cool impromptu dash for his mean machine.

Pretty sure I remember seeing that back when he made stuff for his lights too. We have a CNC at work that I do all the machining on, so it should be easy to make something and possibly even get it powder painted for free.........haven't any time of late to work on it......

• Like 1

Sorry bad photo, but it shows how I had it setup

That's what I was planning to do, something that bolts to the face of the triple, comes up and bends. I'm going to experiment with the angle a little, I don't want it to be flat at a 90 degree, maybe something that angles up a little and is a little easier to read sitting.

• Like 1

Mine faces me perfectly. The mount that comes with it is nice and can be bent. The angle of forks is sufficient for my height and riding position. Its nice, lightweight, and the aluminum could be flexed a bit. If broken its easily reproduced.

I was sceptical about paying 45 for it, but it was decent and came with incandescent and led bulbs.

Edited by BLKRAWB
  • Like 1

I just bent up a piece of sheet we had at work and mounted it off of same mounting holes used by the old speedo. Still need to tidy it up and paint it then cover it in carbon fibre fake sheet.

image.jpg

Edited by klx_dude
  • Like 1

That's what I was planning to do, something that bolts to the face of the triple, comes up and bends. I'm going to experiment with the angle a little, I don't want it to be flat at a 90 degree, maybe something that angles up a little and is a little easier to read sitting.

Yes,  something angled sounds good,  looking forward to seeing what you come up with.