1982 Honda XL500 Rebuild

First time poster over here on Thumper Talk, I hope you'll welcome an SOHC4 rider in search of something simpler.  I picked up a 1982 Honda XL500 a few months back and it needs a bit of love.  First up was to fix an oil leak on the head coming out the rocker arm screw, plus some stripped bolts on the head cover.  After I pulled the headcover, I did a leakdown test and there was a 40% leak out the intake side.  My question is, do I need new valves or can I clean and re-lap them?  Or could this be an issue with the valve springs?  (see photos of valves below)

IMG_6550.JPG.jpeg

Edited by bryanseeee

The intake valves are worn out , recondition the cylinder head for best results .

Not questioning your judgement here, just trying to learn.  What is the criteria you used to make that determination? Thanks. Troy341

The intake valves are worn out , recondition the cylinder head for best results .

Thanks NEKOOHC.  I was planning to hone the cylinder head as well, but as for the intake valves, do I need to replace them or just clean and re-lap?

Not questioning your judgement here, just trying to learn.  What is the criteria you used to make that determination? Thanks. Troy341

Sure , in my opinion .. The intake valves are " cupped " or worn out .

The 40% loss confirms it

Thanks NEKOOHC.  I was planning to hone the cylinder head as well, but as for the intake valves, do I need to replace them or just clean and re-lap?

You need to replace .