Why you bring someone with you to buy a bike:

My friend went and bought a kx125 under the impression that it was an 04 model. I see the bike and instantly realize it's an older model. I ask if he's checked the air filter and he says no. The chain is super loose. The bike has almost no compression, and runs like crap. I get the seat off to look at the air filter and this is what I see: this is why you always bring someone with you to buy a bike. Even if you are knowledgeable about what to avoid. You could miss something.

1417620471748.jpg

1417620490751.jpg

A clean air filter has no bearing on how it was taken care of either. All it means is the owner cleaned it right before you came. 🙂

A dirty filter filters better. Think about it. Isn't that why you change your oil filter because it starts to filter too well? Never thought about it like that did you?

But I'd never think of selling a bike with a dirty filter.

A clean air filter has no bearing on how it was taken care of either. All it means is the owner cleaned it right before you came. 🙂

A dirty filter filters better. Think about it. Isn't that why you change your oil filter because it starts to filter too well? Never thought about it like that did you?

You can argue if you want, but im willing to bet you wouldn't buy a bike with a black air filter.

• Like 1

I went to look at what looked like on the outside a clean used bike.  The owner claimed he had owned it for a few months and was selling it to buy something different.  As I reached to remove the side panel to look at the air filter the seller went ballistic accusing me of trying to wreck his bike.  What??  I then said all I wanted to do was look at the air filter behind the clip on panel….. He didn’t know what an air filter was or where it was.  Would you buy that bike?  I walked away without looking at the air filter or buying the bike!!

+1 on that. Being a mechanic, I always offer to go with my buddies to check out anything...car, bike, whatever.

Last year, I got a friend into riding and we found a nice looking KDX220 for a good price. Got there, and there is NO way the craigslist picture was recent. Had to have been taken at least a year or two before, and many wrecks before. My buddy said he would have just bought It if I wasn't there. I started it up and rode it around the block a few times. Hard to start, horrible piston knock, clutch would not disengage to find any gear while stopped, forks were twisted, many other little things. The asked the owner when the top end was done, he gave me a look....you know, THAT look. I could tell he didn't even know what a top end rebuild was.

In retrospect, as hard as KDX's are to find in my area I should have low-balled him big time! Would've been a nice project..

Sure, a dirty filter doesn't mean the owner never changed it. But it says a lot about the seller if they didn't take the time to do such a simple thing when trying to sell a multi thousand dollar machine IMO.

• Like 2

a guy that only cleaned the filter because the bike is for sale cared that much more than the guy that didn't clean it. Edited by motojunkiedan

And how is that? Like I said a dirty air filter does nothing to hurt a bike. People have this idea that if an air filter is dirty, it allows dirt in when in fact it only cuts down on the amount of air. If it does that, the bike runs more rich and that is never hazardous to the bike. But like I said people can see a clogged oil filter is bad, which it is. Think about it before your react and reply.

But as I said I'd never try to sell a bike with a dirty air filter and yes it is a bad reflection on him. But.... Read first paragraph again 🙂

Edited by DR.billZ

And how is that? Like I said a dirty air filter does nothing to hurt a bike. People have this idea that if an air filter is dirty, it allows dirt in when in fact it only cuts down on the amount of air. If it does that, the bike runs more rich and that is never hazardous to the bike. But like I said people can see a clogged oil filter is bad, which it is. Think about it before your react and reply.

But as I said I'd never try to sell a bike with a dirty air filter and yes it is a bad reflection on him. But.... Read first paragraph again 🙂

Dirty filters are a big deal. Have you ever seen a filter that's been in service so long that it's dry? As mentioned it indicates the PO couldn't even be bothered to clean the filter before having the bike inspected which is a basic rule of selling a bike and speaks volumes on his attitude towards maintainence. Oil change ? What's that ?

• Like 3

let's just say we disagree and in my opinion you are not thinking about the big picture. If he can't bother to clean the filter does he change the oil, oil filter, has he even checked the oil level. All of these take more effort than cleaning the filter. Additionally a dirty filter is full of dirt just like the air box it is in, creating more opportunity to suck dirt past the filter. Hopefully you can see a dirty filter and air box presents more opportunity for dirt to make its way into the motor than a clean one. If not we really disagree. That is ok though. People that neglect their bike need guys like you to buy it.
  • Like 1

It's never really the filter that makes my mind up, it's the airbox...

Generally I follow the rule that if it looks clean, it's generally well taken care of. If they have other bikes, I look at their condition too. All in all I've very rarely seen used bikes in the same condition that I sell mine at...

+1 on that. Being a mechanic, I always offer to go with my buddies to check out anything...car, bike, whatever.

Last year, I got a friend into riding and we found a nice looking KDX220 for a good price. Got there, and there is NO way the craigslist picture was recent. Had to have been taken at least a year or two before, and many wrecks before. My buddy said he would have just bought It if I wasn't there. I started it up and rode it around the block a few times. Hard to start, horrible piston knock, clutch would not disengage to find any gear while stopped, forks were twisted, many other little things. The asked the owner when the top end was done, he gave me a look....you know, THAT look. I could tell he didn't even know what a top end rebuild was.

In retrospect, as hard as KDX's are to find in my area I should have low-balled him big time! Would've been a nice project..

Sure, a dirty filter doesn't mean the owner never changed it. But it says a lot about the seller if they didn't take the time to do such a simple thing when trying to sell a multi thousand dollar machine IMO.

It's an 04 kx125 not a multi thousand dollar bike. First thing the buyer should do is put a new top end in anyway.

Using logic, if the air filter is dirty, there is a greater probability that maintenance may not have occurred. If it is clean, at least we know the owner had some knowledge of moto maintenance.

The airbox check was a good point too. Shows there is extra effort to keep it clean.

Edited by pterry

Seems like good reasoning but incorrect. The dirt on the air filter has absorbed all the stickyness of the filter oil, thus letting more dust through the filter.

• Like 3

Seems like good reasoning but incorrect. The dirt on the air filter has absorbed all the stickyness of the filter oil, thus letting more dust through the filter.

True. On a paper element filter, dust does close up the medium making it more efficient in trapping smaller micron sizes. Not so on an oiled foam or gauze filter.