Top end cost

Does the head need rebuilding or the piston?

You will need a shop manual.  With the 1K price tag, the shop quoted, I would assume that would include the valves.  I have done valves and piston myself on 3 occassions, its not difficult.  You will only save about $50-$100 by purchasing and installing OEM parts yourself and having the valve seats cut.  Using stainless steel intake valves with the spring kit, it is almost a wash. The next time I will buy a complete head from Big Bore.  Do a search of previous posts on the various options (steel vs. titanium, parts needed, ect.) so you will be better informed on the route you want to take. Good luck.

I recently rebuilt a 02 crf450 and for a wiseco piston kit not including gaskets it was about $170 from motorcycle superstore if I remember right. And then a whole gasket kit for everything on the bike was about $30. Or you can go on service Honda and get a all stock top end for around probably like $250-$300. And it's actually not too difficult. I got a new top end in it in about a hour, if that.

1. New valves. If you go stainless, new valve spring kit.

2. Cut valve seats

3. Piston kit

4. Gasket set

5. Measure cylinder bore. If out of spec, its about $260 to replate it

6. Valve shims

I am in the process of doing my klx 450 and this is a list of stuff I have spent cash on so far.

I got a wiseco piston kit with gasket for 200. Stainless valves and springs for 250. Valves seats cut for 40. Its adding up quick.

alright well i got a kit that came with a wiseco piston and all the gaskets for 180$ and i sent my head off to mxtime and am having them put stainless valves on it they cut seats clean the head in a solution and install valves and springs and shim it for 450 but for me im still golden i bought the bike knowing it needed the work for 600 so i only have 1400 total so i could probably double my profit on the end of all this and i just cleaned my carb so i should be good as new when i put the head on im pumped!

• Like 1