2 stroke newby - jetting

I just bought a 2002 KX250 for my son for Christmas.As I've browsed this forum, I see posts about jetting the carb based on altitude and air temp. I live in Central NC. the median temp is probably 70F. High of around 100F in summer and low (rideable) 50s. Alt from 0 to prob 2000'. My question is, how important is the jetting? He's not gonna race it but, what kind of damage  should I be worried about? Will there be a huge performance gap based on jetting? (Won't start, won't run, damage to piston, etc) Am I making much to do about nothing? Sorry for my ignorance, just trying to learn.

What matters is how the bike runs. Do not get caught up in 'you gotta do this' hype. Ride the bike, note running issues. I'd like to assume the current jetting is good as tit is a 12 year old bike and must of been ridden at least once  😉 Google 'Air Density'. I doubt your jetting will change much, if at all during the year. At most, an adjustment of the airscrew in the summer then again in the winter.

Since it is a new to you, 12 year old bike, I'd do a leak down test and a proper maintenance (port cleaning, power valve service, pipe cleaning, silencer repack, reed inspection) before you try to 'fix' anything. Most people that blame jetting do so because it is cheaper than actually fixing a problem. But that does not ever work.

Get a service manual fro the dealer. Read it 1,000 times.

• Like 1