250 2 stroke too much?

So, I have asked here before, but my son has grown overnight seemingly and is now taller than I am and he is still looking for his first bike. We need to start off with a cheaper bike as that is what we can afford.

Would it be stupid to put him on an early 2000s 250 2 stroke? Maybe put a throttle limiter on it? 

-mx

He is almost 16 and approaching 6 ft. He only weighs about 140lbs.

A 125 is just such a weird bike for trail riding, in my experience. You have to keep the revs up to get any power and for a beginning rider it might be frustrating.

-mx

If you're planning on trail riding but don't want a true beginner's bike such as a crf230, look at the KDX200 or 220. I currently ride a 250sx and it still keeps me on my toes even though I have spent 2 years on a 125 and a year on a 250 after moving up from minis... Another option would be a KTM 200, much more bottom end than a 125 but a more manageable top end.

He is almost 16 and approaching 6 ft. He only weighs about 140lbs.

A 125 is just such a weird bike for trail riding, in my experience. You have to keep the revs up to get any power and for a beginning rider it might be frustrating.

-mx

My sons first trail bike was an RM125. We trail rode it everywhere. No MX. He was 14. 5'4" and 125lbs. He rode it for 2 years. He learned how to clutch, ride something that wanted to jump out from under you when I hit thte power band. Ride in slow circles waiting for people, because his feet couldn't touch the ground. It was 200lbs so easier for him to pick up too.

I sold it this summer and got him a KLX300. He's now 16 6' and 130lbs. He is such a better rider on the KLX for having riden the 125. It was a steep learning curve though. Never got seriously hurt, just cuts and bruises, but leaped up and bit him a couple times.

A good running well tuned 250 2T he would have gotten hurt on.

Edited by hadfield4wd

Yes, if I had the cash this would be a lot easier. A KDX 200 would be a pretty good compromise, but I can't find one that will work. I would actually love to do a 250f, but they tend to be a nightmare for maintenance and being meticulous is not one of his strengths. 

I had thought about a TTR 225, but they are apparently really heavy.

-mx

• Like 1

If you don't want to start with something like the TTR230 or CRF230F,  you can start him on something like a WR250F or CRF250X or KTM 250 XCF-W.  More power, better suspension and brakes than the 230 trail bikes.

They will be more expensive.  You can probably get into a nice condition -06-08 WR250F for between $2400-$3000.  KTM's will be more expensive.  WR250F went to an aluminum frame in 2007.  For CRF250X, I wouldn't go any earlier than '07.

WR250F has about same power as a 200 2 stroke, but different characteristics of how it comes on.

I would go with a 2 stroke 125, you can always put a flywheel weight on and get some porting to improve bottom end, I think a 250 2 stroke is too much for a beginner bike and a four stroke is too much money in maintenance. A YZ 125 could be tuned perfectly to the type of riding you do with a few bucks.

• Like 1

How big/old is your son?

My first bike was a 1984 430 husky when I was 14 I survived and do did all my buddies that rode it.

using this rationale one should just buy the highest horsepower bike for all to learn on. luckily there's other models to choose from. 

using this rationale one should just buy the highest horsepower bike for all to learn on. luckily there's other models to choose from.

I'm not saying it was a good idea it's just the way it was.

I would go with a 2 stroke 125, you can always put a flywheel weight on and get some porting to improve bottom end, I think a 250 2 stroke is too much for a beginner bike and a four stroke is too much money in maintenance. A YZ 125 could be tuned perfectly to the type of riding you do with a few bucks.

Yup

With a flywheel weight, porting, torque reed spacer kit, easy clutch and a good gearing makes a 125 a good wood weapon.

It doesn't have the torque of a 250 but with these settings you don't have to always fade the clutch.

I sold my KDX 220 for a CR 125 and I'll never go back!! KDX has an incredible engine but I'm faster in technical/hard trails with the 125

I'm 6 ft 130lbs

Edited by BlackFlys
  • Like 1