CraigsList Posters: "Brand New! (only 45 hours)"

I love people on CL.. Typically they end up hating me though.  The last time I bike I bought I met the guy and could tell he was in a hurry when I met him.  I went through the bike top to bottom took about an hour and he was so pissed when I noted off every single scratch and tear and stripped bolt.. But hey I ended up with a 2002 cr125r for 700$  with only cosmetic damage.

• Like 2

Yep...or when ppl try and knock you down on the price via txt message right off the bat... Without even looking at the bike. Or ask what your bottom dollar for a "cash" sale is. I usually say "well im only selling for cash...probably wont finance it for ya" then i ask them what their top dollar is. Lol

• Like 4

Yep...or when ppl try and knock you down on the price via txt message right off the bat... Without even looking at the bike. Or ask what your bottom dollar for a "cash" sale is. I usually say "well im only selling for cash...probably wont finance it for ya" then i ask them what their top dollar is. Lol

I am totally going to use "what's your top dollar"

• Like 5

I'm one of those guys! Had my low hours 07 CRF250r on CL at the end of the summer for a couple of months, even dropped the price half way through, not much interest. So i decide to keep it for next year and convert it into a good trail bike, strip it down, grease up everything, maybe throw in a new piston, you know, give me a winter project, just so i don't have to watch "dancing with the stars" with the wife. Now the last month i've had three times the interest i had the first two months, every one wanting to lowball me, so i tell them i won't take anything less than a price well above my original asking price. hahaha.

And now that i got the bike all stripped apart and see how little wear it has and how good a shape it's in, i'm glad i'm keeping it.

• Like 3

When I was searching for an RM125 I was surprised at what I found. There were quite a few 2007s out there with pre-2004 heads and front forks. C/L really is buyer beware. I have found and bought 8 bikes and listed and sold 5 to/from people with it though. So far every purchase sale has been a good one. 

My last buy was an 06 that had no more than 5 hours on it. It was 8 hours away, but worth the trip. The MCO/MSO from orig dealer had it in crate and purchased in 2012. Sometimes you just get lucky! 

and every bike has a "brand new top end" in it lol 

I sold my kx250 to a guy after me having it a few years, bike was in good shape, well 6 months later I see my bike back on craigslist from same guy I sold it to asking about $500 more than I sold it to him with my same exact description when I sold it to him but he added that he didnt have time to ride bike and previous owner (me) had just put in a new topend ( I never said that !) So I believe about half the BS someone says on craigslist. Buyers Beware ! Its a crap shoot....

• Like 1

I dont think anybody rides their dirtbikes around here in OKC, about every bike listed says " VERY LOW HOURS " or "Best bike I ever owned, willing to trade or sell for another bike" or " Been sitting in storage for last 5-6 years "

I bought a used bike over the summer that was sitting in a garage for years.  Before driving to Cali to pick up my CR 500 AF, I had a mechanic pull the jug to inspect the piston.  It was cracked terribly through the skirt, and the rod had rust on it.  That means water/condensation was very likely in the bottom end, so I said F it, just do a bottom end as well.

But I still spent way less money than buying a new one for over $12,000. Why would you sell the "Best bike I ever owned?"

" Best bike I ever owned " yeah that guy keeps posting bike every few weeks, then says moving cant take with me , but he also adds " Willing to trade for a larger cc bike" ( his listed is a 125cc)  So he's moving and cant take with him but he CAN take a bigger bike ? There's also an ad every now and them that states " Selling this killer price this weekend only ! " Ok then what ????

the bottom line is a lot of people buying AND selling things on craigslist are retarded.  and to be completely honest, most of us have probably done some stupid stuff on CL before, not all of us, but some of us.  

Personally I can't stand when someone points out every little flaw on something, as long as your not selling it as "perfect condition" .  I've had people sit there for an hour looking over every scratch when their buying a 2001 raptor 660 for $1800 "whats this scratch, why is the paint missing here on the frame?"  BRO. YOUR BUYING A 2001!  $1800.  Thats 1/6 of what it costed new.  WHAT DO YOU EXPECT.  

And to be even more honest, when I do sell my bike, I'm probably gonna be one of those people who says "never raced, just practiced, only 30 hours." say what you want, but at least I'm being honest, and I bet a lot of people on here do the same thing and won't admit it. and at least I took care of my bike, maintained it. so I'm not screwing someone over.  

The best thing is when you encounter a nice person on craigslist.  They don't lowball you, they ask what you want and say "that sounds fair".  I always try to reciprocate in whatever way possible.  

I mean 75% of the moto population does this.   Numbers with a name on a year old bike next to a shop. "never raced" yea alright lol