ttr 125 e-start

Just a quick related story...bought a 2005 TTR LE on CL last week for 700 bucks. Was able to negotiate that price because owner said it needed a new starter. Local shop quoted him $275, so he disconnected switch and used the kick as the free alternative. Bike came with new battery and chain both were still in box. I bought the TTR for the wife/kid, thinking that they need to learn to kick a bike anyway. We rode it a couple times just using the kick start and had a blast. Bike runs strong and starts/idles well now that I've cleaned carb.

This weekend I decided to pull starter, since I was changing oil anyhow. Looked great and armature spun freely, but brought it to a local old timer that still rebuilds starters. He tested it and told me that he's "...80% sure starter is good...". I liked that estimate so I popped it back into bike and pulled out the new battery. When I opened box, there were no caps for the battery and the fluid was missing. Since it was a Walmart battery, I wasn't too disappointed. Headed to the local Interstate Battery store and it tested as having a dead cell. Bought a new battery and just threw it in tonight. Pulled relay, checked fuses, and cleaned it up. When I untaped the starter button wires, I noticed that the previous owner had crimped and extended OEM wires. I didn't think anything of it until I went to use those wires to start bike by bypassing switch...and nothing happened. I then cut off his extensions to expose fresh wire...touched them to my needle nose pliers and viola...MAGIC BUTTON! 

My advice...start the problem solving as cheaply as possible and work your way up. If you don't have a service manual...get one asap! The manual does a great job of guiding you through the ins and outs of this bike. I'd hate to see you spring for a new starter when it could be something as simple as a fuse!

Lastly, does anybody have advice for finding the small "bullet connectors" that plug into the e-start button? I need advice on making the connection from wires to button...what is OEM connection method? I went to Home Depot/Lowes and can't find anything smaller than 22g, which is too big to make the connection. Electrical Supply store maybe?

Edited by Cap N Jnz

Lastly, does anybody have advice for finding the small "bullet connectors" that plug into the e-start button? I need advice on making the connection from wires to button...what is OEM connection method? I went to Home Depot/Lowes and can't find anything smaller than 22g, which is too big to make the connection. Electrical Supply store maybe?

Smallest bullet is usually for 22 to 18 gage wire.  You can always strip your wire twice as long as normal, and fold it back on itself.  General rule for wire sizes up to around 12 gage is doubling the gage brings it up 2 sizes.  In other words, folding back a 22 gage gives you the equivalent of an 18 gage as far as crimping goes.

I'd fold your wire back on itself, crimp into a 22 gage (red) bullet, and pull it when you're done to make sure you have a good crimp joint.

If your bullet connector is uninsulated, you can also add a piece of filler wire, crimp the filler and start button wire, and cut the filler back to the end of the crimp.

Simple, if you remember that the crimp connector doesn't care what you're crimping into it...just that whatever is inside needs to be within the gage range of the contact.

hth

Below is a picture of the receptacle for the e-start wires. This is the side of the e-button, where the wires connect. A 22g bullet connector is too big. What is the recommended connection from the wires to the e-button? I need a secure connection. There is no mention in the service manual, and the PO had the whole thing disconnected prior to my ownership. Any thoughts?

Below is a picture of the receptacle for the e-start wires. This is the side of the e-button, where the wires connect. A 22g bullet connector is too big. What is the recommended connection from the wires to the e-button? I need a secure connection. There is no mention in the service manual, and the PO had the whole thing disconnected prior to my ownership. Any thoughts?

Quickest way...hot soldering iron and "activated" rosin core solder.  Cover everything with Ultra-Gray silicone for sealing and strain relief.  Let it sit a day before installing.

What I'd do...find another e-button with wires and install.  Or find one with short wires and splice into your harness.  Dealer or motorcycle junk yard??

Standard bullet connectors come in only 2 sizes on the mating end.

hth