Did i mess up rimlock?

I took off the trailwings today and put back on my dirt tires and rimlocks (front mt21 and rear 606). I didnt notice that I switched the valve stem and rim lock locations untill everything was already back on and torqued down. My question is does it really matter which hole the rim lock goes in? I only found one post saying it matters. Why would it matter as long as its in there? The real issue is the 606 is such a PIA to mount!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1417747563.427762.jpg

I usually fit the rimlock on the rear of the valve on the drive wheel and to the front of the valve on the front wheel so the stress on the valve is minimised if there is any slippage.

ie, shortest length of tyre whichever way the tyre/rim try to move against each other.

what was the supposed issue on the post you found?

Edited the layout  of the front wheel.

Edited by Muzz67
  • Like 1

I usually fit the rimlock on the rear of the valve on the drive wheel and to the front of the valve on the front wheel so the stress on the valve is minimised if there is any slippage.

ie, shortest length of tyre whichever way the tyre/rim try to move against each other.

what was the supposed issue on the post you found?

The post I found just said if u didnt install in the right hole u will tear valve stem but didn't explain why. The way you explain makes sense. I ended up correcting it today. Tire changes are getting easier/faster with practice.

Sidenote: Found a video on youtube where the guy used a 5gal bucket filled with water for a hillbilly tire changing stand. Works better then laying wheel on garage floor