Need some opinions on 650L front suspension...

First of hello to all! This is my first post but I have lurked for a while as a guest.

Now on with the question....

I have a 2001 XR650L I have owned since new but it has beed very neglected the past few years due to life and work....It has been locked up in a sea can for at least 5 years and maybe got out once a year to start and ride down the road when I get by the place. So I deciced to get it out and get the old girl going and go thru every thing and upgrade so I can take it with me on my Jeep travels and ride. My question is what to do with the forks....I have several options... as I am a collector of stuff lol

Option 1: revalve and fix up stockers with a brace.

option 2: Use the forks and parts off my 2006 crf 450 and part out the rest of the bike. It runs good and is a great bike but I really have no use for it and it prob needs valves and what not done. But im not against using it as I really prefer to ride the 650 the high rev 4 stroke was never my thing prefered my 2 stroke for that. I would use the emig racing clamp setup and pay for it with the sale of the parts. It has a full leo vince exhaust and custom triple clamps on it so sell as well. I got the bike on a trade for money owed.

option 3: I have a full frame of a 96 RM125 minus the motor only... It has the big bore forks like a drz400. But havent found any info on a swap or anyone doing it.....Gary at emig said he could build them tho not sure on the cost tho yet

I will be used mostly as a trail bike but I ride pretty aggressive. You can see what was already done in my sig..but I plan to do bigger tank, black excel wheels as my rear wheel is toast, and possibly an oil cooler.

Edited by cumminspower

stock forks are junk. go with the crf forks. search this forum, theres a lot of info here and more than 1 way to accomplish this. i did and wish i would have sooner. makes the front much more ridgid and handling is much better. should cut down the springs to shorten the forks, theyre longer than stock. good luck

Not wanting to just spend money but I would like a useful opinion with reasons. I am leaning toward parting out the 2006 450 and putting forks and carb on the 650. I figure with the proceeds from the parts it will not cost me much of anything.

I just think the forks off the RM would look cool and I have all the parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Just keep in mind whatever you do any of the forks need to be sprung/valved correctly for your weight and the 650's. Personally in your situation I don't know anything about the RM125 forks but if you have the Triples check with All Balls Racing and see if they have the bearings to make the Suzi triples fit in the XR steering head. Then you can keep the 450 intact, re-spring and valve the RM125's for your new application. 

I am putting CRF450X forks on my XR but I got them cheap already setup for the L. Old school guys will always remind you the stock forks on the L are better than the ones they used to win races on... true so yes with the right setup and correct weight oil and a brace they can be very competitive but the USD's look so cool...

The #1 reason why they are on bikes.

There is a good deal of truth in that. Look at the CRF250L, total bargain basement forks, but they're USD so people gushed over them, at first anyway.

The 450 forks are not that way though, because the bike cost much more and it's and offroad performance bike.

Option #4. The OP could sell the 450 and use the money for the 650 suspension plus have money left over and no extra parts left with, trying to sell.

The XR650L forks are an older design and not as flashy as USDs, but with proper tuning they are still very effective. They are much better forks (and rear shock too) than any other bike in it's price range.

There are too many people out there riding these bikes hard with the stock forks (although revalved / sprung) and doing so with great effect, not just effort, to call them junk as someone above has done.

Firestone thank you for the great reply!

I think I have decided to put the 450 forks and carb on my L. Partly because I found a buyer for my 450 engine minus the carb for a dang good price and I can still sell the other parts on eBay or here if someone wants them.

I will hold on to the the RM and let my buddy swap it on to his Or if I get another L I might use it since it will be different.

"Option #4. The OP could sell the 450 and use the money for the 650 suspension plus have money left over and no extra parts left with, trying to sell."

I have actually been trying to do that for a bit but without much luck for any reasonable amount. I actually sold the motor alone for almost what I have been getting offered for the whole thing.

Thanks for all the replies

Edited by cumminspower

BS.jpg

The stock forks SUCK is the #1 reason that they get changed. :devil:

USD's are blingy so people so like them.  They do look trick.

If AAJAKE can do well racing the bike using them I don't think the stock forks are so terrible.

beezer, on 19 Dec 2014 - 12:04 PM, said:

USD's are blingy so people so like them.  They do look trick.

If AAJAKE can do well racing the bike using them I don't think the stock forks are so terrible.

I never said that a good rider can't do just fine on the stock forks. Safe to say that most folks will be faster and more confident once they make the swap. You can also respring, revalve and add a brace to the stockers and get them to work OK. I stand by the observation though that stock XRL forks are not worth a steamy pile of bull dung on a rocky trail. The stanchions are long and spindly and allow the front tire to wander around as the forks twist. Adding USDs to my bike made it feel much more sure footed and nimble once the trail gets rough and nasty.

I'll be the first to admit when something isn't worth crap and adds nothing... Example... wanna buy a lightly used Hotcam??