QUESTION ON TURNING THE KX450

Im coming off of a 2010 CRF450. never was comfortable with that bike even after throwing some good money at it to handle. Im looking to either go back to Kawi or try the RMZ 450. Im being told by a couple of sources, one that actually has a Kawi that it doesnt like to turn. Can I get some feed back on that? Is someone at my level; Vet B going to notice the flaw if there is one anyway?

The guy I bought my 09 KX450 off begged for it back after sinking a ton of money into his new '13 CRF450.  When I told him I didn't want to sell it back, he got a new '14 KX450.  I have no personal info on the handling of the Suzuki's, but I DO like the KX's over the CR's I've ridden.

Not true about the turning, they turn great, but every bike fits each rider different.  Since you also did not attract enough response by your post and decided after not getting the response tells me you are light in the experience area and you will never notice the difference in turning on any bike no matter what the color is.  Pick one that fits your budget and one that you like the looks.  For how you will most likely ride it, not like Villopoto, you will never ride it to its full potential, like Villopoto.  But, don't listen to me, get out there and prove me wrong.

I like my kx450. I did notice it doesn't like to turn especially on a flat turn. I invested in a new spring in the rear and a linkage arm. It gets down a little better know. I have a friend that just came off of a kx and went to a rmz, he said it is the easiest bike to get used to but misses the power of the kx

Yes crazyal426 I only have 28 years riding experience so I might be a little green. (No pun intended) I was only looking for opinions of the current Kawi riders. I was 100% comfortable on my 06 CRF450 which tends to be bigger like the KX. My theory could be way off.

Thanks for the responses guys. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. End of the week hopefully.

Im being told by a couple of sources, one that actually has a Kawi that it doesnt like to turn. Can I get some feed back on that? Is someone at my level; Vet B going to notice the flaw if there is one anyway?

Is this one guy you know a rider who often adjusts his bike setup to make it do what he wants?

Some guys also say the KX front tire doesn't stick (compared to a yellow or red bike), but do they know how to tune forks? Some guys say the KX450F wont rip around flat corners, but do they often adjust sag or clickers?  With some simple setup changes and decent tires a KX is excellent on flat corners.

Anyone intermediate pace or faster will notice if any 450 isn't setup right for himself.  Setup real wrong for the rider and they are a nightmare.  Some 450 MX bikes have a more narrow setup window than others. The Kawi is like that.   But get it right, and they are just fine. The KX450F wont flick left-right-left in a hurry, but it has very predictable handling helped by a versatile motor.

Honestly, with basic setup effort, any mechanically healthy 450 MX bike will do just about anything a typical rider wants.  Yes they have their own advantages and disadvantages, but these are subtle.  This is why so many guys say "pick a colour".

If you have a friend with lots of RMZ spare parts, or find a RMZ at a great price, then get a Zook.

• Like 1

from my experience, i have a kawa 450 on a 2012. I bought it mainly due to the reasons that i believe they have best build quality and the strongest motor. Anything else i can make suit my riding. I came off a sxf 250 and onto this. Straight away i noticed that it had more headshake than the sxf and on sand it seemed to try fold the front wheel in more. (this is just after having the bike sprung for my weight; the sxf had a professional revalve). So i adjusted fork level to try prevent headshake as much. This was a little better but still not as i wanted it. I attempted to revalve it myself which made it better but never perfect. I found it to turn different, but now i love it. it just doesnt do anything daft and is very predictable. Maybe if i paid to have it revalved it may cure the remainder of the headshake but other than that the turning is great. All i can say is dont rule it out.

To reduce headshake the first thing to ensure is that the rear is riding low enough relative to the front.

To reduce tuck in sand, the first thing to check is that your fork base base comp clickers are in far enough. In sand, turn in the comp clickers far enough and slow down the rebound on both ends (esp rear if soft sand) and the KX450F front wheel will plough through random sections and rail any well formed sand berms you throw it into.

Well since I'm the guy my friends ask to adjust their suspension from time to time, I'm in luck. It looks like the only handling issue is the same as any other bike. Set it up for me! I'm 205 lbs. so I have to revalve and spring anyway. The PSF forks I'm going to have to learn. That left over 14 for $6100 is looking better already.

• Like 1

can not go wrong either way, but im coming off of a 250 2 stroke and i absolutly love the handling, my corner speed has gone way up and to me it goes where you want it to, on flat hard pack turns its a little difficult to get it to turn sharp, but going through ruts and burms it will make you smile.

• Like 1

can not go wrong either way, but im coming off of a 250 2 stroke and i absolutly love the handling, my corner speed has gone way up and to me it goes where you want it to, on flat hard pack turns its a little difficult to get it to turn sharp, but going through ruts and burms it will make you smile.

I feel exactly the same as you mate. Feel more confident going in to turns and ruts knowing I'll get out the other side (most of the time ? ). Wish I moved to a 450 sooner.

Got the bug back for moto big time when I jumped on my new 450. ?

ride a two stroke then ride it, you will feel at home lol just smoother

I have nothing against 2 strokes and I agree they are fun to ride, but it's just not for me. The power delivery is just too sudden to me and I'm on the relatively light side for my size so like I said. Just not for me.

I had an 06 CRF450 as well and really liked that bike.  Was very comfortable with it.  Then moved to 2013 KTM450 and while I really liked the quality of the bike and the electric start, I could never get along with the handling due to the front end almost always wanting to push.  Rode a friends 2013 KX450 and was immediately comfortable and it felt ALOT like the 06 CRF450 in terms of handling with a ton more power but very controllable power (plus the significant difference of EFI over the carb on the 06).  So I picked up a 2014 KX450 and I am extremely happy with it.  Personally for me the bike turns fine.  Just seems to fit me and how I ride I guess.  I am a vet B/C Mxer, 200 lbs.  

• Like 1