first bike for me and one for son to grow into

I just bought my 9 year old 4 foot 9 100lb son a Yamaha TTR110E. It should be great bike for him until he outgrows it in 3-4 years. I am looking to buy one for myself too. I rode a Kawasaki KZ400 street bike for a couple years about 20 years ago. I have never been on a dirt bike. That basically makes me a beginner. I want to learn with and teach him (how long til he smokes me 🙄?). I want a KTM 350 trail bike - maybe the dual purpose which looks much more dirt than the Japanese dual bikes, but fear it may be too much bike for me to start with. Some have advised me to get a 230 four stroke. I am sure it will be great to begin with, but I will be ready for more about the same time my son is ready too move up. That would be fine if he could move to the 230 and I could move up, but I think the 230 will be much for him at that point. He would prob fit better on a 150 at that time??? Could I just get a 150 for me to ride for next three years then give to him and get the KTM at that point or would the 150 just be to small for me even for three years while I am learning and just riding with him? Any advice from experienced riders is appreciated. I want to think it through and make the right choice.

A 230 would be fine for him in a few years. And good for you to start on.

It's important to note that even though a 230 has most of the displacement of a 250 enduro or MX bike they make about half the power- very learner friendly. They hold up well too.

A 150F would be fine for you to ride around the trails. The fact that you will be following him around a lot, makes the 150 a good bike for you to do that. Once you've had your "seat time" and he is ready to move up, or even when you are....you can pursue a bike better suited for you and your riding style. That leaves the 150 for him, which he should get a few years out of.