clutch

Hi,

Ive put new clutch plates and springs in my 2007 crf450. today i tested at a practice track. The clutch is very sharp, it does not slip at all, but there is only about half an inch from fully slipping to driving with no slip. the clutch is also quite hard to pull in, the cable was new last year. can anyone tell me how to soften the clutch. the clutch bolts are tight, are they supposed to be slightly loose to soften the clutch. i could always put my old springs back in. any ideas fully appreciated,

Grant Preston

Eddie / Kranney,

I wasn't sure about the 07.. most all the 6-spring clutches are good. The 4-spring clutches don't seem to last very long, but the 6-spring clutches seem to last. I have a Hinson 6-spring clutch that I ran in my 09 before I switched to the Hinson BTL slipper clutch. I really liked the 6-spring clutch.

Thanks gents. 

Cheers.

first of all,

get a cable luber and attach an non aeresol bottle of triflow to it have it disconnected at both ends and gently squeeze the bottle while you run the cable back and fourth untill triflow spills out the bottom onto your crank case.

you wont feel a huge difference pushing and pulling the cable but once you reconnect.....

youll be able to tell.

were the springs oem or aftermarket?

what oil do you run in the trans?

Did you replace the steels and fibers with Honda parts, or aftermarket?

If they are aftermarket now, they can be thicker than stock plates. That changes the leverage on the pressure plate and adds more preload onto the springs. This will make the pull much harder at the lever, where it wasn't before, even new stock fiber plates compared to worn stock fiber plates.

If you had to loosen your cable up a lot after install, then that is what the problem is.

Jason

Hi chaps,

thx for the interest. I have fitted new appico racing plates and springs. There are 6 bolts and springs. I take your advice I wont losen the bolts incase they fly off wrecking everything!  I think I will put the old springs back in, they may suit me being softer. As far as i know the bike is original 07. But the new clutch is very jumpy and sharp, and stiff to pull in. I put a new original honda cable in last year, it seems fine, but I have another to fit if not.

Any more advice or ideas very welcome,  Grant 

I have had the bike 2 years this is the first time ive changed the clutch. When I first attatched the cable there was no clutch at all which supprised me, I had to adjust the cable up and it was immeadiatlely stiff, but works very well. Maybe the grip strengtheners in the pic may help ha ha.

I have had the bike 2 years this is the first time ive changed the clutch. When I first attatched the cable there was no clutch at all which supprised me, I had to adjust the cable up and it was immeadiatlely stiff, but works very well. Maybe the grip strengtheners in the pic may help ha ha.

probably the springs are stiffer.....

but im serious about the lube

i lubed my clutch cable on my 09 for thanksgiving just for the hell of it....

couldnt believe how much easier it was

i dont pressure wash it or anything...

i have an adige aptc slipper clutch which uses torque to lock the clutch down and only uses 3 teeny tiny baby springs....

you can actuate the clutch with your pinky.

after lubing it was around 30% easier

so on yours it would probably translate to 10% easier with slippery lube in the cable.

• Like 1