Chain length

Im pretty sure stock length for an 08 is 118 links, which works for both 13/50 and 13/52 as i run both on my 09

Great thanks. What big difference will I feel going from 52 to 50 ? Also what color spring are you running with those gear selections . Red yellow green ?

I run a lot of really tight trials-like single track, i originally went with the 52 tooth to give third gear a bit more pull for no-run-up hill climbs. Now ive got a rekluse and went back to the 50tooth to regain a bit more gear spread. The 52 made the bike a bit more forgiving if i made a mistake clutching when the going got gnarly, now i dont need that due to the rekluse.

Really depends on your trails and riding style what gearing works best for you.

Also i found that with the 52 tooth i was able to stay in third alot more in the hairscrambles in my area, which kept the bike below the power band hit, thereby making me less tired over the couse of the race. Ive tried all the springs and dolly settings and am currently running the green spring with the dolly in about 2 full turns, map switch is usually on aggressive unless its snowing or really greasy.

Again, that all depends on your preference

I always buy the longest chain and cut it to the length I really want, and save the exta pieces.

Thanks for the info man . Yea I switched from a 09 450 exc to an 08 xcw 300 . I was very comfortable with set up on the 450 and was really liking it. But the weight at the end of 2 hour race would take its toll . So I had a chance to.get the 300 , with all the good talk about it . I jumped on it in the middle of the nj hs season .just messing with clickers nothing else. Wouldn't say I did worse but didn't do better. Somethings were better others weren't . I feel like the bike didn't get traction a sometimes , the front would wash out and just straight get away sometimes . So I want to take the off season to try and set up right . Right now it has the yellow spring , not sure how turned in it is . And the 13/52. From what u said I think I'll stick with the 52. I think the 50 will just &%$#@! me up even more . I'll switch to the green spring see how that works. Our races mix everything. Tight woods,

Open fields , sand , dirt , some tracks rocks and sometimes a Lil mx .

something i always tried to help setup depending on where and what i was riding...  rear wheel all the way back on slider give lil longer wheel base.... all the way up was shorter. and shorter for tighter riding, like mx track and such, and longer WB for more open...

maybe just me but i tried to get the best setup i could.... i usually had a few chain/sprocket combos id use for desert or track....

something i always tried to help setup depending on where and what i was riding... rear wheel all the way back on slider give lil longer wheel base.... all the way up was shorter. and shorter for tighter riding, like mx track and such, and longer WB for more open...

maybe just me but i tried to get the best setup i could.... i usually had a few chain/sprocket combos id use for desert or track....

That's makes a lot of sense thanks .

If your on the hunt for traction, definetly try the green spring! I also tend to have my sag set around 115mm, and set my front forks to the second line from the top, may even try softening your shocks high speed damping (big nut around the clicker on the top of the shock) slightly. That should let the bike squat and plant the rear tire a little better, but the softer you go in the back the more the front forks need to be raise ln the triples to keep the front end tracking properly.

Edited by islandlife